Chapter Fifty-Two: An Unwelcome Proposition

Bank

Jay was grappling with the realization that Billings was in fact honing in on him rather than the fastidious Bank Manager.  While immensely relieved Milton seemed to be out of the firing line, for now at least, the young man was reluctantly coming to terms with the likelihood their Suspect focusing on him was perhaps more than a fleeting interest.  Had he missed something?  There was no link between Billings and Chicago.  No glaring clues signposting a time when their paths had crossed and yet something about the way the man spoke implied there was a strong interest in him.  Puzzlement was not a friend in this situation and the green eyed man could imagine the consternation of his Sergeant and friends.  They had all been blindsided.  Keenly aware of his brother and friend listening to whatever the man said Jay cursed inwardly.  He never divulged anything about his military career to either man, apart from basic details.  He was also mindful of his friends hearing the words spoken, knowing everything was being recorded.  He hoped Billings' smug attitude was from false bravado rather than any information he had acquired.  When he didn't respond to the mans' taunt Billings shook his head disdainfully.

"Why Detective Halstead there's no need to be shy about your accomplishments.  After all you were highly trained ..... to become a Killer.  How many people have you actually killed?"
"Killing is a part of war," Jay commented evenly.
"Come now Detective.  You and I both know your Sniper duties ensured you killed more than most.  In fact I'd posit you've killed more people than the Bomber you're in New York to find has."
"If you know anything about the military you know I can't talk about my duties."
"That's an easy out don't you think?  Isn't it ironic one Killer is chasing another?"

Will and Conor understood just how difficult the current conversation was for Jay.   They both knew how intensely private he was and were aware that even if the military had not placed restrictions on what he could share about his tours the young man would still not be inclined to divulge details.  It just wasn't his way.

Surveillance Van

Voight was fit to explode if the throbbing vein in his forehead was any indicator!  Billings' sudden preoccupation with his youngest Detective caused a knot of fear to twist in his gut.  Of course they knew the man had taken an interest in the auburn haired man, especially after he filed a complaint, but the level of said interest had been underestimated by them all and that angered the Sergeant.  Ultimately the responsibility lay at his door.  The Detective was his Subordinate after all and he had sanctioned the young mans' entrance into the bank.   For now though the hardened man pushed self recrimination aside, he would confront it later, and set about trying to navigate a non fatal conclusion to the siege.  Tapping the IT Specialists' shoulder he made sure he had the wiry mans' full attention before speaking.

"I want everything you can get on Thompson ....,"
"But Sarge I already gave you ...," Mouse began only to look chagrined as he remembered Murphy was present.
"It's okay," the Assistant Director quickly assured looking from Mouse to Voight, "we already discussed you checking the Director out."
"I did," the Sergeant readily shouldered full accountability as he eyed the New Yorker intently for a moment before addressing the IT Specialist again, "dig deeper.  I want to know what Billings could have ascertained about Halsteads' time in the military ...,"
"You think Thompson gave him information?" Parker cut in, doubt clear in his tone.
"I don't know."
"Not many people have access to redacted records," Al noted softly.
"Find out if Thompson has any military connections," Murphy instructed Mouse who nodded after receiving an affirmative look from Voight.

"Al you're with me," the gruff Sergeant nodded to Murphy and Parker before heading out of the van with the seasoned Detective on his heels.
"What is it?" Al checked once the pair were outside.
"I need your knowledge of the military," Voight had never pried into his old friends' time in the service but had listened on the odd occasion the former Sniper felt like talking, "just how easy or difficult is it to gain access to classified documents?"
"It's not easy at all.  There are a number of criteria that must be met.  Each case is dealt with on an individual basis given the sensitive nature of the information being protected."
"So it's not as if you reach a certain rank and it's access all areas?" Voight wasn't afraid to show his lack of understanding.
"No," Al shook his head ruefully, that scenario would certainly have led to countless deaths.
"So what are the criteria?"
"Well a Non Disclosure Agreement, in this case that's a Standard Form (SF) 312, must be signed by the person seeking access and the request must arise out of a need to know basis."
"What else?"
"A training in handling classified information is required," Al replied thoughtfully, "and of course an appropriate security clearance is essential."
"So could someone gain access by handing over money?"
"Unlikely," Al responded after a moments' contemplation, damping down his initial negative response as cynicism won, "the protocols are pretty strict. There's a paper trail to follow."
"I missed it!" Voight suddenly fumed.
"We all did," Al quickly jumped in unwilling to let his friend shoulder the blame fully, "none of us realized he was after developing a personal interest in the Kid, even after the complaint."
"So you agree this is personal?"
"Seems to be." 
"He's comparing notes about killings and equating himself with Halstead."
"He hasn't actually admitted being the guy we're after," Al reminded.
"True but ..... he is."