Chapter Sixty-One: An Impossible Task

Command Post

After Adam, Antonio had departed on their quest for new attire Voight had instructed Mouse to return to the Surveillance Van to keep on top of what was going on inside the bank.  Although the Sergeant and the others still had ear pieces allowing them to listen   in they now had to divide their attention.  Voight wanted the IT Specialists' sole focus to be on the conversations taking place between Billings and Jay so that nothing would be overlooked.  He knew he could rely on the younger man to do his job meticulously.  Murphys' curiosity had been piqued when the Sergeant had hinted he had a plan for handling the challenging situation Halstead was facing so now decided he needed answers.

"Voight care to clue us in on what you have in mind?"
"As soon as we know who the target is we get to them first."
"And?" Parker asked when nothing else was forthcoming.
"We make it look as if the job gets done," Voight shrugged.
"That would be a tall order if we had contact with Halstead," the Assistant Director noted, "but with him in the dark it's going to be impossible."
"I admire your faith," Al scolded without any heat and shook his head ruefully.
"He has a point," Parker put in defensively with an arched brow, he couldn't understand the Chicago mans' confidence.
"Halstead is smart.  He knows we'll figure out a way to convince Billings he's done what was demanded," Voight elaborated, he had complete faith in his youngest Detective and that would ultimately be their ace to play.
"How are we going to find out the target beforehand?" Murphy was puzzled, it was clear the Sergeant was placing an enormous amount of trust in how his subordinate would act but there was still a significant variable to consider.
"That is the 64 million dollar question," Al put in sardonically.

Bank

Will had been eyeing the entrance expecting an onslaught of armed Officers at any moment.  As the minutes ticked by however it was becoming excruciatingly clear that Voight was actually going to let his brother go along with the Killers' directive. Oh he knew Conor had said they would need to identify the target but the reality of Jay actually going off on this lethal errand was beginning to sink in.  He should have been able to derive a modicum of comfort knowing his sibling would be out of danger with some distance from Billings but realistically he knew that was only going to be a short reprieve and besides it was unknown what the younger man was going to have to deal with once outside.  Will feared the Killer was going to play games with his only sibling.  He couldn't even take solace that Voight might convince Jay not to return to the bank.  Like that was going to happen!  No way would Jay fail to return and endanger the Hostages.  The redhead cursed silently wishing the younger man had an affinity for his own self preservation over that of others. 

Conor had been serepitiously watching their Captor and as the man outlined in a calm monotone what he wanted the Detective to do for a brief moment there had been a flicker of pure unadulterated evil in his eyes.  The Surgeon had taken a few seconds to identify the look because he had never before encountered it and it sent a chill down his spine.  He was sure Jay had also observed it but luckily it seemed Will had missed it.   As it was he could feel the tension in his companion.  Conor could only hope he remained calm.  The alternative would only end in bloodshed of that he was certain.

Jay wondered what forced the true character of Billings to surface, albeit briefly, when he had observed the evil glint in his gaze.  Although his words had effectively stripped away his business persona once and for all he had still, on the surface, been presenting himself as a civilised man.  It worried the Detective that he could not source the rage which now seemed to be taking hold in the older man.  As he had given his precise instructions for Jay to carry out he had sounded even more arrogant than before.  Perhaps it was born of confidence his plan was working.

Department Store

After purchasing clothes and caps the three Detectives had quickly changed into their new attire.  Convening in a fortunately empty restroom they had tossed insults at each other about their new looks before becoming serious.