Chapter Fifty-Four: Appeasing A Killer

Bank

As Billings seemed to accept his story so far Jay ventured into the realms of acts carried out by others but nonetheless important and encompassing life and death situations.  If the man holding the weapon before him sensed a change in his recounting the auburn haired man knew a Hostage would pay the price.  The weight of such responsibility was a burden he was not unfamiliar with but still it was an unwelcome companion.  If he had a choice he would offer his life to save anyone elses. That would be a way easier option than the one forced upon him.

"Go on," Billings ordered, casually waving the rifle in the direction of the Hostages, "don't make me drag it out of you."
"Things went FUBAR pretty quickly since the intel was wrong," Jay explained quietly, "the Warlord was the sole target but
it transpired someone else also had him in their sights.   They weren't so worried about collateral damage.  By the time the shooting ended everyone in the compound was dead, including the children."
"How many did you kill?"
"The Warlord," Jay replied, he was careful to avoid saying he actually shot the man although it was inferred.
"Thought you were going to admit to shooting innocents for a minute there."
"That's part of war," Jay conceded with obvious reluctance, knowing some level of vulnerability was needed.
"So you have killed innocent people!" Billings pounced on the admission almost gleefully.
"Who's to say who's good or bad? It was way above my pay grade."
"Perhaps I was wrong to imply you're similar to the Serial Killer you're after.  He .... or she ..... isn't being paid presumably but you were paid for killing."
"True."

Will hated that his younger brother was being forced to confront hard issues about his military days in such antagonistic circumstances.  It was quite clear Billings was revelling in Jays' discomfiture.  He wanted to give into the powerful urge to defend the younger man, especially when he had failed to do so when they were kids, but common sense prevailed.  He would bide his time.

Command Post

Murphy stopped a few feet away from the congregated men and motioned for Voight to join him.

"Well?" the Sergeant curtly demanded an update on the meeting with the problematic Director without wasting any time.
"It's not good," Murphy sighed, knowing that was an understatement, "from what he said I don't believe Thompson's comprised in the usual sense in .....,"
"What the hell does that mean?!" Voight exploded, his voice rising.
"It means he didn't intentionally betray his oath," Murphy rolled his eyes, he had known this was going to be a difficult conversation.
"So you're saying he is compromised?"
"Look Voight are you going to keep interrupting or will I tell you what the situation is?" Murphy finally showed some of his own ire.
"Okay, okay .... talk."
"Turns out Billings has friends in high places and Thompson allowed his ambitions to blind his judgement accordingly.  He genuinely believed up until the siege that the man was innocent."
"Based on?"
"Voight!" the Assistant Director shook his head, the man would drive a Saint to sin!
"It was a fair question!" the Chicago native quickly defended his interruption although he had the grace to look sheepish.
"And one that can be dealt with at a later time.  Right now we have a bigger problem.  Thompson knows of two military connections Billings has. Both have vast experience in explosives."
"Hell!"

Bank

Even though Billings clearly wanted Jay to recount a difficult mission the Detective noted he was still taking note of the time.  That gave him an idea to stall whatever was forthcoming.

"This trip down memory lane is interesting I'm sure but don't you think it's time to see to the Hostages' needs ....,"
"They don't need a toilet break again."
"I meant it's well past dinner time.  Don't you think it's time to feed them?"
"This look like a restaurant to you?"
"You could request food to be delivered."
"You're assuming we're going to be here a long time.  Besides I want to hear the rest of your story."
"Sure.  No problem," Jay shrugged, it had been worth a try, "what do you want to know?"
"What happened after you took out the Warlord?"
"Nothing good," the ex-Sniper sighed, "once the target was neutralised I left for the LZ and ....,"
"LZ?"
"Landing Zone."
"So you're admitting you just walked away while innocents were being slaughtered?"
"The job was done," Jay stated flatly, although the story wasn't his he had to be convincing and besides he could still remember the haunted eyes of the actual Sniper who lived it as he imparted the events to him.
"A lean, mean killing machine!" Billings scoffed in derision.