⎊thirty-one

"What reason could you have to speak with them?" He steps into the bathroom.

"You're joking right?"

"I do not joke."

"I just have questions. What's going to happen to them? Will they be auctioned off? Are you planning to use them as practice?" I keep my voice even. He's not going to help me, but at least I can spare myself from his anger.

"I do not know what their fates will be. It has not been decided. They did not attempt to fight us, only to flee. There is a chance they will be placed up for bid." He so casually talks about them being bought and sold.

"Is it against the rules for me to talk to them?"

"No one has ever asked to speak to prisoners." He steps out of the shower. "I will inquire."

"Please, I just-" My mind started to speak before he answered. Did he just say he would ask? I keep my eyes trained on the floor. He's too naked to look at. "Um, thank you." I clear my throat. "I appreciate that."

My anger and frustration are beginning to fade. He's actually intending to ask?

Uncomfortable silence fills the room. I don't know what to say. He has made it clear that he doesn't ask questions. He grumbles something and brushes past me, never looking at me once before pulling on his uniform and leaving.

I stink, covered in a thick layer of grimy smoke and sweat. A shower is not only a perfect distraction but it's desperately needed.

Standing under the spray my mind wonders. It all happened so fast. I barely got the chance to look at him, a real human man. He looked surprised to see me. I have so many questions about his life.

So many of them died needlessly today.

Naked and dripping water everywhere, I slump onto the bed. I have so many feelings that I'm struggling to process them.

I'm sad and angry that so many humans, that I didn't even know existed, died today. I'm confused by the complicated feelings I'm suddenly drowning in with Destroyer.

The anger I felt was thrown for a loop when he did a complete one-eighty on me and offered to ask on my behalf. I might be bitter and jaded but my cynical heart can't fathom that he's doing this out of kindness. There must be some reason, something tricky and nefarious hiding behind his offer.

As I sit and ponder all of the possible meaning behind his sudden openness to helping me, he comes into the room.

Seeing him covered in blood doesn't usually scare me but I wasn't expecting it this time. He was completely clean when he left. How did he get this filthy again in such a short amount of time?

"What happened?" I jump up to inspect him. He pulls away from me, turning his body toward the bathroom again.

He strips the uniform off, letting the soaking wet clothes fall heavily onto the ground. They're starting to form a large pile on the floor with his disgusting clothes from earlier.

Of course, none of the blood is his. There isn't a mark on his skin.

"Destroyer," I take a stuttering step toward him but he ignores it and walks into the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

Feeling way too vulnerable and a little bit embarrassed, I pull on one of his uniform shirts and sit on the bed. I think I know why he's mad at me - I didn't do exactly what he said the moment he said it earlier. I didn't want to help them capture what could possibly be the last human males left in existence.

"Come," the door opens quickly and he steps out.

"Where are we going?"

He doesn't speak, just slowly moves his eyes across the room until they land on me. I shrink back slightly. This has to be more than just not listening to him. He looks like he hates me. "Come." He repeats again before yanking his shirt over his head.