The Aftermath

Neither Adrien nor Marinette spoke as they made their way back to the Agreste Mansion. Adrien's mind running with how to salvage what relationship he had developed with Marinette while making sure his father didn't find out that he ousted his secret identity to his girlfriend before they were prepared.

Marinette on the other hand, only wanted to speak to Tikki. She knew that she shouldn't have told him she knew, but how was she going to live with him and date him, if he didn't know she knew.

She was already keeping her other secret from him. The one about being the savior of Paris, Ladybug. That in itself was now a huge concern. She was living with her enemy and if her hunch was right, Gabriel may have something to do with Chat and Hawkmoth as well. The more she thought, the more she knew she really needed to talk to Tikki.

The golden gates of the Agreste Manor opened upon their arrival. The teens walked side by side to the door, entering the foyer. The silence only ending as the door to Adrien's room shut behind them.

"Adrien."

"Marinette."

They both said simultaneously. A laugh escaping them both at the little snafu.

"Lady's first," Adrien presented his palm to motion for her to begin.

"I, I just wanted to say sorry. I... shouldn't have thought about it all. I just couldn't stop seeing the similarities and then the timing and problem with Luka. It was just too obvious. I couldn't stop myself from figuring you out."

Adrien sagged his shoulders as he listened to her apology. Finally deciding to speak up after he assumed she was done. Grabbing her by the shoulders and giving a slight shake, as he bent to be eye to eye with her.

"Mari, it was my fault. I just got so angry at his antics and Plagg told me to stop, but we just started to date. I didn't want to lose you when I just now got you, but I'm sorry."

Adrien pouted as he looked to the floor before speaking again, "does this change anything? I mean, now you know who I am and all of Paris hates me, Ladybug hates me, I know you make designs in my colors, but I'm sure you hate Chat just as much as the next person."

Marinette fidgeted in her spot, still unsure what to say. Where to go from here. Does she transform and steal his ring? Would he fight her and win. The earrings finally falling into the hands of her enemy of four long, tiring years. All of that time lost and for nothing.

She couldn't let that happen, but she needed him to know that at this point it changed nothing. He was still Adrien. He was still the boy she chose to date. The boy who was her soulmate, even if at this moment she was a living nightmare. Tikki had mentioned in passing how Ladybug and Chat Noir were the yin to the other's yang, complete opposites but also a perfect pair.

Taking her thoughts and putting them to words, Marinette whispered, "I just don't understand why you are doing it... why are you hurting people. All for a couple of earrings? Why do you want them?"

The questions hung in the air between them, Adrien unsure how he should answer. Which answer would provide the most clarity but also cause the least harm. Running his hand through his hair he released a heavy sigh. The tension from their mutual silence, while walking home dissipating as he sat on his bed.

"This might take a minute so... please have a seat?" The request was more a question than order. Adrien hoping if she was comfortable then the conversation may stay positive.

"Well, you see. My mother died when I was fourteen, so five years ago. I told you about that time I ran away from home and tried to go to Frances Dupont, remember?" Marinette nodded slowly her hand now lay on top of his on the bed.