26: Taking Accountability

You're prepared for the worst. After all, ever since you first met Felix, your experiences with him have been nothing short of horrific. Not once has he been able to control himself, whether that be regulating the amount of blood he takes from you, or how harshly he digs his sharp fangs into your flesh.

He is the man that nearly ended your life, and if given the opportunity, there's a good chance he'll do it again.

Felix traumatized you. Even though Karl insists that everything will be fine under his watchful eye, it's impossible to look past that overwhelming fear that courses through your veins. It's a thick, nauseating feeling that doesn't even let you breathe. It feels like the walls are closing in on you, like it's only a matter of time before you run out of air.

At this point, the damage is irreversible-but not just for you.

The unbearable pain that you'd been expecting never comes. Rather than the usual harshness with which Felix bites into your neck, this time, you feel scarcely more than a gentle prick. A slight pinch, followed by a few seconds of discomfort, and then, almost nothing at all.

All the air trapped in your lungs comes rushing out in a shaky exhale.

It barely hurts. It reminds you of your sessions with Xavier. As a matter of fact, it might be even more gentle than with Xavier. You didn't even know it was possible for vampire bites to hurt so little.

You finally allow your eyelids to lift, a few tears stuck to your lashes from how hard you were squeezing your eyes shut. The pain isn't getting any worse, and even the way Felix is holding you close to him is nothing like what you're used to. He's handling you as if you're made of porcelain. As if you're a fragile, precious thing.

He's handling you like he's afraid he might break you.

The truth is that Felix is almost as traumatized as you are. He didn't experience the same pain and inescapable agony as you did, but for the first time, he nearly took someone's life, and the thought of such a thing makes him absolutely fucking sick.

When he pulls away, your neck isn't just slick with blood, but also with his tears.

"S-Sorry," Felix swallows. He hastily wipes a hand across his lips, cleaning up any leftover blood before you can get a good look at it. His eyes are all puffy and red, and he can't seem to stop crying. You watch silently as a few tears roll all the way down his cheeks and drip off his chin.

Then, you frown.

"Was that it? Are you... already done?"

He barely took any of your blood, except unlike your meeting with Xavier earlier today, there's no chance this will end in the two of you making out.

Felix nods hastily. "I'm good. I think we should stop here. That would be best. I don't... want to scare you any more than I already have."

You've known for a while that Felix isn't a monster. He's a selfish, immature piece of shit who didn't care enough to bother controlling himself, but now that you can see the aftereffects, it's clear that he's drowning in guilt. If only he'd realized sooner that his actions have consequences. Maybe you could've had some semblance of an actual relationship.

It's far too late for that now, though.

"What the hell are you doing, Felix?"

Karl grits his teeth, making his presence known. It might sound hard to believe, but for a second, you actually forgot he was even here. You were too preoccupied with the fear swallowing your body whole.

"I had enough," Felix insists. "I wasn't that hungry anyways. It'll last me. I think it's safer for [Name] if I only take a little bit each time."

"Are you fucking kidding me right now?" Karl glares. "Do you have any idea how much I'm paying this dumb cow every time she comes by?"