3. No Turning Back

Earth

2017

Rory stared at the overbearing medical equipment lining the room

Rory stared at the overbearing medical equipment lining the room. It was her first time leaving her holding room in almost a week but somehow this didn't seem like it would be much better than sitting in that room.

"My name is Dr. Johanson. I'm here to do testing. First, we'll need you to sign some consent forms." The doctor offered a smile, her long black hair framing her face.

Rory snorted. "Really? I have rights?"

"As far as I'm concerned, yes. You have rights. If there's anything you don't feel comfortable with, let me know. We'll stop."

Comfort soothed the hurt in her heart. This was some of the only control she'd had since coming to in the desert. "What do you need to do?"

"We'd like to do a full physical examination and undergo some imaging. It will help us learn more about your biology and your history."

Rory straightened. "Like if I've had any injuries or surgeries."

"Yes."

"Do everything. Anything that could give me answers."

The doctor's expression softened. "You really don't remember."

Rory shook her head. The fear of not knowing never left, never even slightly abated. It had become a permanent weight hanging from her chest that she had to lug around with every step.

"Could you tell if I've had a child?" The words shocked them both. It had just come out of Rory's mouth.

"Do you think you have?"

"I remembered a lullaby. I don't know if my mother sang it to me... Or if I sang it to a baby."

The doctor nodded. "Our biology is so similar. We may be able to tell. For most women, there are discernable signs of childbirth or even miscarriage."

Rory moved to the exam table, more than ready for answers.

~~~

"I'm sorry it took me so long to return to you. The general wanted his briefing first." The kind doctor sat close to Rory in the holding room rather than on the far side of the table. She opened a manila folder. When she spoke, her voice was soft. "I did not find any indication of childbirth. From what I've seen, your reproductive biology is identical to ours, and I would be very surprised if you had ever delivered a baby."

"Oh." Rory nodded and then smiled. Was she saddened or relieved? Surprised? Her emotions felt too distant now to catch and parse. "Thank you."

"It's possible you could have been pregnant and not carried to term. I see no evidence of that, but an early loss often leaves no scars or long-term changes."