42. The Mind (Part 2)

Earth

2027

Without waiting, she pushed out of her seat and rushed to the officer who handed her a phone

"Put it on speaker," General Price said.

"Madam President?" Rory gripped it tight. "I'm here with Price and Theo."

"Did you recognize the woman in the video?"

"No. I didn't know everyone in the program."

"We have had very complicated talks about you, Rory. I have had very complicated briefings. Even as we speak, I have advisors throwing a fit in the hall over my call to you. But here's what I know. We did not hold any people from Lumiea hostage and you did not help us cover it up."

"Yes, Madam President."

There was a moment of quiet. "I'm the Commander in Chief during a time of war–the likes of which we have never faced and that we prayed would never come. You're the woman our enemy sent to us in advance of her arrival and yet you claim you don't want to harm us. I have difficult decisions ahead of me. This one, however, is easy. You've lived with us on this planet for ten years. If you've ever told us the truth, if you've ever cared about us, then help us. Now, before it's too late. I'm asking you to tell us everything you know."

Rory clutched the phone. Theo and General Price both stared at her.

"I know one of the generals we saw is your husband," she said. "I know what I'm asking. I'm asking it anyway, because I believe our planet is worth saving, and that you're capable of doing what is right."

She swallowed hard. "If Vehru asks me to choose between Jace and my child or Theo and Earth, you want me to choose Earth. That's what you're asking."

"Yes." President Saito did not hesitate. "It's an easy decision to ask you this, because while I could be wrong about you, if I am right, then you're one of the hopes that we have against Vehru. I don't know what choices you will face. But yes, I'm asking you to please choose the two billion innocent children living in our world."

Who could make a choice like that? Her kid or everyone else's? Vehru had her son and she'd take full advantage of that fact.

Rory had lost against Vehru once before, back when she'd lived on Lumiea as Aeryn, but she could not lose this time. She was not willing to choose between a planet and her family.

"I'll tell you what I can. Unfortunately, there's some things I can't tell you, Madam President. Not unless you want me to sabotage efforts to fight against Vehru. You cannot afford to trust me. I understand that. So, you'll have to wait to see if I'll prove you right or wrong."

Rory would not give up another home to Vehru and she would not let her have her family.

~~~