39. An Invitation (Part 2)

Earth

2027

Vehru glanced at several UN members

Vehru glanced at several UN members. "Our advanced AI will monitor your planet and coordinate with the Federation to work both with your own authorities here on Earth as well as our own."

Rory clenched her teeth. Supposed world peace had many costs. Lumiea was not some Utopia and her squad had only managed to scratch the surface over the years as they'd dug for the full truth about their world.

"How would the Federation respond to us declining to join?" President Saito asked the question with a tone as if she already knew the answer. And of course, everyone here did know the answer. This whole conversation was a farce.

Vehru smiled far too politely. "The people of Earth will be given the opportunity to choose for themselves. We will ensure everyone has the chance to understand what the Federation offers and to give their free and fair vote."

Rory lowered her head. Free and fair. What a joke.

"We would all prefer to speak frankly, Commander Vehru." Saito anchored her hands on the table. "Please do not waste our time with misrepresentations of reality. We want to keep our world and maintain our autonomy. You have come here uninvited with an agenda."

"I'm so pleased to hear you want an honest discussion." The polite smile quickly sharpened into her sneer. "Your planet was seeded and guided and has never been autonomous. You all want freedom. Understandable. Children always want to have their freedom and believe they deserve it, only look at what they choose to do with it. There's a reason our children don't raise themselves. The adults know what's best for them. There is not a government on Earth that is fit to run this planet properly. Your history makes that abundantly clear. It would be an abdication of duty to leave this world entirely in your hands as you push it closer to the brink of ruin."

President Saito stood but did not immediately speak. With measured words and an even yet authoritative voice, she spoke. "We are a flawed people and perhaps we are even lost. Our history, however, speaks clearly to the ramifications of colonialism and imperialism. By whatever name invasion takes, it is never for the betterment of those who are conquered. You cannot steal our land and claim it is for our own sake."

"Your land?" Vehru quirked a brow. "You're all on stolen land. Every one of your nations forged a bloody path to the place where you stand today, as far back as your history stretches, from the ancient days of tribal warfare to modern neo-colonialism. You steal from each other. Madam President, this is something you know well as a Japanese-American woman who often speaks of her family's experience in the internment camps. You know the nature of your world quite well. Yet you're president of the most oppressive imperialist forces in the world. Have you put an end to all the stealing your country does?"

Rory's stomach tightened at Vehru's sharp stare, but Saito did not easily back down. The other woman, who never allowed anyone to make her rush an ill-prepared response, offered a smirk of her own.