6. Decisions

Earth

2017

Dr. Christine Johanson's shocking and unprecedented announcement to the world changed everything. And it changed nothing at all.

Rory was not privy to all that the public was. In her confinement, she could only access the news which General Price approved. Still, Theo had sat with her, watching coverage of Christine's accusation of a government coverup and the claim that Earth had made first-contact with an alien species. While the rest of the world had no way of knowing whether the doctor spoke the truth, it was bizarre for Rory to watch, knowing very well that she, indeed, was not from this world.

It took little time for experts to cast doubt on Christine's testimony. Congress quickly moved to establish public and private hearings in order to investigate these claims, while pundits argued each side of the issue. In less than a week, reporters had dug up every aspect of Christine's life.

"How significant are the psychedelics?" A news anchor with bright blue eyes scrutinized a guest doctor who had appeared on her segment. Rory knew so few names of anyone on earth, but she knew these people. This woman was named Laura, and she loved to cast doubt on a subject while pretending to only ask a harmless question.

"Dr. Johanson's experiences with psychedelics took place more than a decade ago. She was moonlighting in a clinic which administered ketamine to combat treatment-resistant depression, and was interested in research about Psilocybin."

"Her colleagues claim that she frequently partook."

"I believe they shared that Dr. Johanson wanted to experience the potential treatment for herself to understand the effects. However, none of the substances she took would cause her to have delusions about an alien today."

"Unless she's still taking them."

The doctor made an uncomfortable noise, clearly not wanting to speculate. "I see no reason to believe that Dr. Johanson is impaired in any way. Her work speaks for itself. She is highly regarded in her field, which is why the military has employed her as a consultant."

Rory sat back and glanced at Theo. He bit his nail while he watched.

"General Price is pushing this narrative." Theo ran his hands over his face. "He wants to discredit her."

"It's to be expected."

"Don't you care?" Theo twisted to her in disbelief.

"Of course I care. This is my life."

"I just don't know how you talk so calmy about things like this."

"Things like this. You mean like the interrogation?"

"Exactly like that. You should be... You should feel furious."

Did she feel that way? Strangely, anger seemed like a waste of effort to her. It wouldn't change anything for her. Sorrow was the emotion she struggled to control. Rory missed a world and a life she couldn't even remember. She'd been stripped of everything, and strangely, it didn't feel like the first time this had happened. It could have been in her mind, but it felt like she carried a lifetime of loneliness and grief in her heavy chest.