18 | Jahaan Confront His Father

Jahaan had just returned from Ridgefield. He took a shower and came downstairs to have his cup of coffee. Mrs. Mehta was asking her son about his stay at Ridgefield, and as Jahaan was about to reply, his eyes fell at the door.

Mr. Mehta was standing there, anger flaming up in his eyes.

"So I was right! You knew where he was!" Mr. Mehta roared, looking at his wife. Jahaan and Mrs. Mehta were startled by his sudden arrival.

"You knew where Jahaan was, and here I was getting worried for him!" Mr. Mehta mentioned in a deep - eerie voice as he came inside.

"Worried? You were worried! Oh, yeah, just for 15 minutes! And then you go back to your work and board meetings! Don't try to pretend, Harshad , that you actually care for your son!" Supriya taunted.

Mr. Mehta glared at her and turned to Jahaan .

"So you were in Ridgefield for one week, weren't you?" He asked staunchly.

"Yes, I was in Ridgefield, Dad!" Jahaan replied confidently, looking straight into his father's eyes.

"With that girl?" Mr. Mehta asked with a mocking smile.

"That girl's name is Tanya , Dad. And yes, I was in Ridgefield with her," Jahaan gritted.

Mr. Mehta's anger was exacerbated as he heard
Jahaan confronting him.

"Jahaan , I am not gonna ask you why you went to Ridgefield with her or what you were doing? But you have to remember that you are a member of the Mehta family. Do you get it?" Mr. Mehta remarked sternly.

"Honestly, this is the only thing which I can't forget, even if I want to," Jahaan hissed.

"What is your problem, Harshad ?" Mrs.
Mehta intervened.

"My problem? Can't you see Supriya ? He is ruining his life because of that girl!" Mr. Mehta roared.

"Stop overreacting, Harshad . And as long as Jahaan is happy, I don't care about anything else!" Mrs. Mehta announced.

"Jahaan 's happiness? And you think that his happiness is being with that girl!" Mr.Mehta spat.

"Dad, please! You can't talk to mom like that," Jahaan countered. Mr. Mehta looked at both of them and smirked.

"So I guess you both are on the same team, huh?" he replied with a devilish smile and was about to go to his room when Jahaan stopped him.

"Dad, listen -" Jahaan started to explain, but Mr. Mehta interrupted him.

" Jahaan , I get it. I know that you like that girl and it's fine. It's normal in college to have two or three flings. We all have had them. You will get over it," Mr. Mehta mentioned.

"Dad, Tanya is not a fling! I love her," Jahaan snapped.

"What do you know about love? I'm your father, Jahaan . And I want to tell you that Tanya is not the right girl for you," Mr. Mehta replied.

"How can you say that you are my father?" Jahaan burst upon Mr. Mehta , "Can you remember the last time you came to me like a Dad? Do you ever encourage me to share my problems with you? And now you expect me to listen to you in matters of love and feelings.
How ironic!" Mr. Mehta remained quiet.

Jahaan was so overwhelmed with emotions that he had tears in his eyes.

"So, if you are done with your pretense of being a father, then you can leave. Because you know what? I love Tanya !" Jahaan expressed.

"Whatever," Mr. Mehta muttered and started to leave when suddenly, he turned to Jahaan .

"I hope you will soon realize that this is just a college fling!" he mumbled and left.