Chapter Six

Melanie

Today couldn't have come any faster. It's finally Monday. The day of Marcy's transplant.

I've been up all night. I kept tossing and turning in my bed, but sleep didn't find me. I was too nervous about today. All kind of thoughts kept invading my mind and I couldn't sleep a wink last night. I was out of the bed and ready before the sunrise.

I borrowed Danny's car and drove straight to hospital. Even though the transplant won't start until noon I wanted to be there as early as I could.

Walking into the hospital lobby, a smile forms on my face at the sight of my parents.

"Hello parents." I greet them. I'm not surprised they are here so early too.

"Hello daughter," Mom smiles and steps forward to engulf me in a hug.

I move back and next walk into Roger's warm embrace. I feel him kiss the crown of my head as I stay in his arms. I could tell he's really anxious about this whole transplant. 

"Everything will be alright, Pa. Marcy's gonna be fine in no time," I murmur into his chest trying to assure him.

He kisses my head one more time before unwrapping his arms. "I know, Cariño." He gives me a warm smile identical to Pila and Marcy. "We should go see Pila now."

"Yeah. Let's go." Mom replies walking towards the elevator with me and Roger trailing behind her.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

"Did I tell you how proud I am of you for doing this?" I ask sitting beside my youngest sister. I throw an arm around her shoulder and pull her to my side.

"Yeah. For like only gazillion times." Pila rolls her gorgeous green eyes at me while typing furiously on her phone.

"Doesn't matter how many times. I'm still gonna say this- I'm incredibly proud of you." I say smoothing her hair down before leaning in to plant a kiss on side of her head.

The ungrateful brat shoves me away, not liking my affection. "Stop it, Mel." She complains. "All you, Má and Pa have been doing is telling me how proud you guys are of me. It felt good for first few times. But now, you guys are just annoying. Y'all acting like I've summited the tallest mountain- Mt. Evermore or like I've won back America from that German dictator Stalin."

She got all of that incorrect. One it's Everest. Two we didn't win back America from Stalin. And Three Stalin wasn't German.

Sir George Everest must be rolling in his grave right now.

I need to check where she is getting those facts from.

No wonder she's failing history and geography and all the other subjects.

"It's Everest." Mom corrects her before I could. She leans into Roger's side who doesn't hesitate to wrap an arm around her. "And we didn't get back America- never mind. It's gonna go over your head anyway." She sighs and looks at Roger accusingly. "I told you we should've stopped paying for her school. She is not learning anything there."

"Sí, mamá." Pila agrees with Mom instantly. "I've been telling ya for ages, I ain't learning anything in that hellhole. You are more than welcome to withdraw me back from school before they make me lose my remaining brain cells. Yesterday I asked the Doc about the brain cells transplant thingy and he said they don't perform that type of surgery. So, my plan to ask Marcy for her brain cells in return for my stem cells has gone down the drain. I have to save whatever brain cells I have left. So, please, don't send me back there."