10. Show-down

Today was county show day. Somehow, Sam convinced Zoe to ride for them and the entire stable was getting ready for the competition.

Lainey braided Angel's mane before helping to load him and the others into the trailer as he was a reserve horse in case something happened. Jade, Susie, and Marcus were wearing the dark blue show jumping uniform while Ben and Becky were wearing their black dressage uniforms. Mia came with her crutches, looking positively annoyed. Both Sam and Lainey were wearing their Bright Fields sweatshirts, ready to help represent their stables while Pin was just in his regular clothes.

When they had shut the last gate, Lainey turned around to see Zoe walking towards them in her riding outfit and hat in hand. The whole group smiled and she looked creeped out. "What, what are you guys staring at?" Pin laughed before walking up to her. "What?"

"You look like one of them," he answered her.

She looked at him amused, crossing her arms, "well, maybe I am one of them. Is that so bad?"

"Good luck today, I'll see you there." He turned back to the trailers and grabbed his girlfriend's hand. He turned her, grabbing her waist and pulled her in for a kiss. She wrapped her arms around his neck in turn as they smiled.

Sam then tapped them both on the shoulders, breaking them apart to look at her, "if you two don't stop we'll be late for the competition, now either stop with the PDA or you'll both be suspended from the stables." They separated, Lainey sticking out her hand with a bright smile and Pin shaking it accordingly.

"Good luck," he nodded to everyone before heading off.

"How did I not see it before?" Zoe asked her other two friends.

"Blinder than a bat," Becky chuckled.

"I'd say worse than the three blind mice," Jade mocked.

~

During the ride, Jade mapped out everything that was going to happen for Zoe, "okay so during the day there are different classes. Take and turnout, dressage–"

"Featuring me and Bob," Becky interjected excitedly.

"Right, but the big thing is team show jumping," Lainey mentioned. She loved all of them. She always wanted to do barrel racing, but she didn't know if Priscilla would like it.

"That's your event."

Zoe nodded, laughing slightly, "yes, yes, I am aware of that fact."

"And everyone's counting on you."

"Also aware!"

Lainey put a hand on Becky, warning her to stop. "Well, show jumping is the event with the most points," Jade said. Since it was the combined points of a team it held more value than the individuals. "Kind of important."

"Are you nervous?" Becky asked, speaking faster than her usual.

"Uh, no. I'm not nervous," Zoe lied.

"You look nervous."

"What do I have to be worried about?"

Lainey reached her hands around, covering both of their mouths before either had the chance to speak again. "I swear, if we weren't heading to a competition, I would bash your heads together."

Jade laughed a little, "well, Zoe, even though you're totally not nervous, I do have something for you." She pulled out a used, little rusty horseshoe. "Some people believe that horseshoes bring good luck." The newest rider took it, holding it in her hands as she smiled at her.