Chapter 38

*****

The ball rolled across the grass with not much speed to it before coming to a stop just before it could touch Cassian's foot. He kicked it back towards Lance with the same amount of effort as it had rolled towards him, Lance frowned as he had to run forward to grab the ball once it stopped.

"Should we head to the cafeteria now?" Lance asked.

"Nope."

"When are you guys going to get over it?"

Lance frowned as he tossed the ball in the air before kicking it at Cassian who jumped to stop it with his chest and then caught it with his foot before it could hit the ground and focused on balancing it while he replied.

"'You guys'?" he asked.

"You're not exactly trying to make peace either, Captain," Lance replied.

"Because they're the ones who should."

"You know Kian's stubborn and Jake... well, he's Jake."

The amount of ego and pride his entire group of friends had was incredible. It was surprising that they got along as well as they did most of the time.

"They're wrong though."

"We seem to be the only ones that think that."

That was true. Everyone seemed to be siding with Kian. Mostly because of the fight, like they disregarded everything that led up to that moment in the hallway.

"That doesn't change the fact that they're wrong. You can go hang out with them if you want," he smirked as he looked up from the ball. "I'm sure you miss Amber –"

"Shut up!" Lance looked around like they were not the only people so far out on the field at the moment, the closest people to them were a couple on the stands, but they could barely even hear a shout. "I told you not to mention that out loud."

"Can I mention it in our group chat?"

He laughed at the glare Lance gave him before dropping the ball and taking a few steps backwards. Lance seemed to hunch over, automatically lifting his arms out at his sides as he got ready to catch it while Cassian glanced around him trying to find the best spot to kick towards.

He then ran the few steps forward before kicking the ball, it narrowly missed Lance's outstretched hand as he dove to catch it, passing by his fingers and into the net as Cassian cheered for himself while Lance landed on the grass.

"Really though, I think you should clear things up before the next game," Lance said as he jumped onto his feet to retrieve the ball and then threw it back out at Cassian who caught it the same way he had earlier but let it land on the grass.

"We all know not to bring crap onto the field."

"We'll all still get the weird vibe."

Cassian sighed. Right. And as Captain, it was his job to get rid of that vibe before it impacted their play. He kicked the ball forward again, this time Lance jumped and caught it with ease, landing on his feet and immediately kicking the ball back.

"Theo still on cleaning duty?"

"Yeah."

It sucked because they had not seen each other in the morning, Theodore arriving later than usual – just before the morning bell rang – while the return of Cassian's parents meant being unable to text or call since he arrived home the previous day.

"Maybe they'll work things out while they're at it." directly after Lance said it, both him and Cassian scoffed and then laughed at their identical reactions.