Chapter 51

*****

There was a spot on the kitchen island's marble countertop that looked like the side profile of a face.

Theodore knew that because he had been staring at the table for the past few minutes listening to the policeman speak while his teeth clenched together so tightly, that his jaw and temple were beginning to hurt and feel stiff.

They were in the kitchen because the police had shown up unannounced while the living rooms were being cleaned.

"Are you serious? You can't possibly believe that."

Mrs Carmichael was reacting to the statement they had read, explaining to Theodore and the two adults beside him that his mother had been an unwilling 'hostage' when she disappeared with her boyfriend. A story William agreed to despite it meaning that he was going to be charged with kidnapping on top of the child endangerment and neglect charges.

So while he was detained and would be for a while, their mother had already been let go and was apparently 'incredibly worried' about her sons' conditions, having not known about Zion's state when William threatened her life and made her leave with him.

Theodore figured it was bullshit.

It was surprising that William was willing to take the fall for everything though, Theodore wondered why. He did not believe for a second that his mother didn't know what had happened to Zion the night they left. They had probably panicked when they realised that he wasn't breathing and they heard the police cars, left because they didn't want to be charged with his death.

Even if they didn't know, even if they had nothing to do with it... They left him alone.

Remembering that made Theodore blindingly angry.

"We have no evidence that disapproves what she has said and as their mother, she'll obviously have an advantage."

"An advantage? In what?" Theodore spoke before anyone else could as he looked up. Had he been so caught up in rage and studying the counter that he missed parts of what the policemen had said earlier?

"Who gets custody of the two of you."

Theodore raised his brows realising he had not thought about that at all as a cough of disbelief came from beside him.

"Oh, come on. You cannot possibly think her fit to be their guardian – a child nearly died in her care. Not to mention the drugs you found. You can't just put them back there!" Theodore's eyes shifted towards Cassian's mother as her voice got harsher with every word, displaying her anger.

"Love," Mr Carmichael muttered. "She's right, though. They were both on drugs at the time too."

"She's been sober since we picked her up, shows no signs of a drug problem actually and has been incredibly compliant with us."

"She's acting."

"Has she been abusive to you or your brother in any way?"

The question led back to Theodore. Everyone was staring at him, waiting for an answer. He looked at Cassian's mother almost trying to find an answer to the question from her and saw her brows plead with him to be honest if his mother had been.

Theodore thought back to the fights he had with William and his mother. Was that considered? This was more about Zion than him, him being as old as he was, and she had never harmed Zion. Well, not physically... William had...

Maybe she would be better now that William was gone. She was fine when he was younger. Before his father died, she was basically the same. Pretty much content when high or drunk, or looking to get high or drunk if she was not already. She didn't give him or Zion much attention, and just focused on herself until William threatened to take Zion during one of their fights.