Chapter 50

*****

Theodore yawned into the back of his hand, clutching a pen as his hand returned to the pages in front of him.

He was relieved that it was the last exam after weeks of spending almost every waking moment focused on studying. They had days off between exams and he always just spent those buried in books with Cassian doing the same, so the house had been quiet apart from Zion occasionally popping into their rooms.

He was looking forward to spending some more time with his brother and getting extra hours of work in during the few weeks of holiday coming up. He had run out of money and was determined to ensure he wasn't completely dependent on Cassian's family. Just in case he and Zion needed to leave quickly.

It wasn't that he did not trust Cassia's family particularly; he didn't trust anyone to the extent of getting too comfortable.

Finishing the rest of the exam took a couple more minutes before he re-read over everything just in case and once satisfied, he stood up to hand it in. He glanced around the room as he began to head out because he knew everyone would be looking at their papers, noting that Cassian was still busy so he would head to the roof to wait. There were a few more empty seats from people he did not notice leave while caught up in writing the test too.

The hallway was empty when he stepped into it, he didn't have his bag or books because it wasn't necessary given that he only had a single test and could then head home, so he immediately turned to head towards the stairs.

His footsteps echoed with each step, showing how impressively quiet everyone in the building was. He began to walk slower to make less noise, playing a game to see how fast he could walk without making a sound until he was brought back out of his thoughts when he heard feet behind him and decided to stop walking awkwardly. The feet didn't disappear, and instead, someone spoke.

"Hey, Theo."

Theodore raised his brows hearing Lance's voice. Though they were... friendly? They were not exactly friends and didn't speak much unless Cassian was nearby. He looked over his shoulder and was more surprised to see that Cassian was not nearby, but Kian was walking beside Lance.

"You have work today?" Lance asked casually as he grinned and Theodore stopped walking.

"No... Why?" He couldn't help feeling suspicious and the pair chuckled.

"We're going to hang out at Jake's house for a while. Want to come?"

Theodore furrowed his brows looking from one boy to the other.

They were asking him to join them? Weird.

"No," he replied.

"Come on. We're not as bad as you think we are," Lance glanced at Kian who frowned.

"Don't look at me like that. I already apologised."

Theodore smiled at Kian's reaction but shook his head as he lifted his shoulders somewhat uncomfortably.

"I don't like... crowded places."

"It's not that crowded," Lance said.

"Don't lie," Kian said.

"Fine. It's basically a party," Lance rolled his eyes.

"It is a party," Kian corrected.

"Why are you here?" Lance turned to Kian.

"To be honest, apparently."

Theodore chuckled seeing Lance glare at his friend who just stared back at him with a smug smirk.