seventy seven: time of our lives

Everyone was still feeling groggy and half asleep as they sat in Jay and Heeseung's cars. 

"What's up with your eyes? Did you not sleep?" Suyoung whispered to Yunhyo, nudging her shoulder. 

"Yeah... was up all night." she yawned in response, looking out the window.

Suyoung's eyes blew wide, having to do a double take, "You were what?! You... you... Jake..." 

"No! Help, no! Eonnie, watch what you're saying." Both the girls grew flustered as various things went through their heads. Jay raised his eyebrow at her questioningly, peeking at her from the rearview mirror. 

"We were talking, that's all. We were too shy about the whole 'sharing the bed' thing so we ended up staying up the entire night. We were just talking to each other." she cleared her throat, trying to lift the awkwardness. Jungwon cackled in the passenger seat. 

"Well, that's better than knowing what you would've done otherwise..." 

They all continued teasing her until they reached the beach and she didn't feel sleepy anymore. She threw her sandals inside the car and slammed the door shut, running towards the beach. 

"It's the sea!" 

Her excitement knew no bounds when she felt the sand beneath her feet, slipping away, making her run slower. The salty scent and the sound of the waves crashing evaded her senses. It was still cold since it was early morning, yet it felt pleasant as warm rays of sun spread through the sky. 

Sunoo squealed as well and they ran together towards the sea hand in hand. 

"Wait for us!" 

Jay watched as Jake, Jungwon, and Suyoung ran after the two, Heeseung and Riki making their way towards the water with slow steps. 

They weren't openly talking to each other yet. 

Jay sat down on the sand after finding a spot, spreading a few towels and putting all their belongings over it. His eyes stuck to his friends who were having fun in the water, a fond smile on his lips. 

Heeseung took fast steps towards Riki, grabbing his wrist, he stopped him from walking further. 

"Hyung..." he didn't look up but still stayed. 

"Riki-yah... I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have hidden it from you for so long. I should've dated her with your permission. You should talk to your sister too, it was her decision to keep it from you." Heeseung spoke up, his voice timid.

Riki's eyes softened at his words. "But you're my friend. You could've just told-"

"I was scared Riki," he cut him off, "I was scared to tell you. Scared of how you'll react. Scared that you'll hate me, scared that you wouldn't wanna be friends anymore."

"Hyung... look at me." Riki lifted his face, empathy in his eyes. "I would never hate you, okay? I just felt betrayed that you hid it from me for so long... one and a half years is not a joke. That's all. I'm not mad that you're dating her. I know you're a great guy. I trust you with her." he said, patting his back.

Heeseung teared up, feeling touched by the younger's words. To gain his trust was all that he wanted. He hugged him tightly, almost making him trip over the sand as they both giggled. 

"Love you, hyungie."

"Awww, love you too, Riks. Love your sister more though."

"Ew!" 

They both ran towards the water after breaking the hug, Riki going ahead towards Sunoo and Jungwon.

Jake, Yunhyo, Sunoo, and Jungwon stood in a circle-like formation, having a water-splashing competition as they laughed maniacally. Suyoung stood at a distance, only soaked to the knees as she watched over them with a weirded-out expression. 

Riki made his way to the others as he signalled Jungwon, winking at him. With one swift movement, Sunoo was picked up by his hands and legs by the two, getting flung into the water. Loud shrieks and laughter filled the air. 

"You won't go in?" Heeseung asked Suyoung, standing beside her, waves crashing on their legs and wind blowing strands of their hair on their faces. 

"They're going crazy, I'm good." she gave him a tight-lipped smile. "Also, I wanted to apologise about last night. I was too pushy and it was none of my business. It's awkward between you and Riki now..." 

"I admire that you're taking responsibility, but I swear it's not that big of a deal. Riki and I are fine, he forgave me already. Don't think too much about it, it's all good. But I'll accept your apology only on one condition."

"And that is?" 

"That is if you let me-" Heeseung bent down, grabbing Suyoung by her knees, throwing her upper body over his shoulder as she shrieked in surprise, "let me throw you into the water." He ran forward, mimicking evil laughter and then dropped her into the water with a proud smile. Everyone cheered and clapped at the scene in front of them. Suyoung chased after him after getting up, and all of them continued playing in the water, splashing around and chasing each other. 

Jay clicked a few pictures from his seat, basking in the sunlight. He closed his eyes as he lay down. Everything felt right. Everything was going well, with his life and his friends' lives as well. He felt happy and content in this very moment. 

"Having fun hiding in there?" Suyoung appeared in front of him with her hands on her hips, scaring him. Water droplets dripped from her hair and clothes. 

"I'm good here. I don't wanna get wet- please- who will look at our stuff- no don't-" his pleas for help were unheard as he tried his best to avoid the hands that were trying to grab him. 

"Get him, guys." At Suyoung's signal, Jay was picked up off the ground by Riki, Heeseung, Sunoo, and Jungwon. 

That's how all of them ended up in the water, splashing around, pushing, and chasing each other. 

Indeed, they were having the time of their lives, and it couldn't be better than this.