Songbird

A/N ...I'm so sorry for any emotional distress reading this chapter with context gives anyone...I promise there will be a few lighthearted chapters after this.

Music has always been an incredibly important part of Winter and Autumn's relationship. There was always something playing in their house. They both had a wide range of musical interests and never got bored just taking turns picking a record to throw on.

Autumn invested in a state of the art sound system to make sure if a record was playing you could hear it in any room of the house. It was something she had always wanted, a home filled with music instead of with silence.

So when they needed to get their mind off possibly the biggest moment of their life, they knew they needed a comforting soundtrack to keep the mood light. Now, Rumors by Fleetwood Mac may not be anyone else's first choice to lighten a mood but for Winter and Autumn it was the first album they really bonded over. Both agreed that it was one of the best albums of all time. There was not a single skippable song. A quirk they had found since being together was that they always decided to play side B first, so they could end with Christine McVie's ballad "Songbird."

"My love." She said to him early one Saturday morning as she returned from taking a shower, "I'm late."

"For what my darling?" Winter asked back, oblivious. He didn't even look up from the book he was reading.

"No, my sweet. Not that kind of late."

"Oh?" His finally met her gaze as she raised her eyebrows at him. "Oh. OH. Right. Really? Hmm."

Autumn couldn't help but laugh at her love stumbling over his words like this. She wasn't surprised he reacted like this. This was a shock to her as well. They were always incredibly careful. They hadn't discussed kids at length yet. Both were pretty certain they wanted kids at some point but that was as far as they'd gotten. They had a bit of an unspoken agreement that when the time was right for further discussion they would know it. But now they didn't have the luxury of waiting.

"So, what do we do now?" Winter asked.

"Get a test, see what it says, and go from there." Autumn answered matter of factly.

She saw no use in getting anxious before knowing if there was really anything to be anxious about. When she was younger she often had irregular periods. Often in her 20s she would get so anxious that she just needed to take a test to ease her mind enough for it to start. And the last few weeks had been so stressful she figured this was probably nothing to worry about.

They went to the store and picked out two tests. One regular and one digital, just to be safe. While they were out they stopped at one of their favorite cafes for breakfast. They made a point to go out to breakfast together every Saturday. They got their usual coffee orders and sat down to wait for their food.

"Winter," Autumn started, "what are you thinking?"

"I don't know, my love. You know how much I love you and the thought of having a baby with you would be a dream come true. I've always wanted a child of my own and you would be such an amazing mother. But whatever we do here will really come down to your decision."

Autumn hadn't always wanted to be a mother. Growing up she questioned how her parents could bring her into the world just to treat her how they did. So when she wasn't 100% confident that she wanted her own kids she decided that just meant she shouldn't have them. But her feelings had changed.

She kind of resented the fact that she had changed her mind because of how people used to talk to her when she would say she didn't want children. She was told that it would be different when she found the right person. That she would never be fulfilled without them. That she would be less of a woman just because she had made the decision not to do something that at the time she didn't want to do.