35

TWO WEEKS LATER

It wasn't the worst thing that had ever happened to me. You know, switching sides and in fact, joining the team that I was initially fighting against.

I still held a grudge towards Jake regardless, sometimes it became increasingly difficult for me to do so, considering he had that sweet charm of his.

It's also not like they locked me up in a basement and fed me soup and bread alone, they allowed me to have my own room, my own stuff and actually gave me food to eat.

All in all, it wasn't so bad. All I had to do, was help them out with missions and track down betrayers.

Speaking of which, Jake had organised another betrayal case, one of his men was suspected of selling information about Jake's clan to other rival clans, and even bought some of his men to trade over to the rival clan.

Really, I could care less about this clan bullshit now, but for the sake of everybody else's own health and safety, I just acted as if I did.

In this particular case though, Jake stated that he wasn't sure whether he was a traitor or not, therefore we'd have to subtly intervene.

And what better way to catch someone than act like a couple during a banquet?

I'll give him that, he wasn't boring with the way of catching someone. Every mission was different, and I was doing different things every time.

In the current moment, I was trying to find a way to manage to walk in these red-bottom shoes for longer than five minutes without discomfort.

I walked around my room, repeatedly, just giving sighs of annoyance at the fact that these are the heels I have to wear for the night.

Sure, they were nice, but jesus, definitely not suitable for walking in.

Amidst my little walk, my door opened, no knocking, no regard for whether I could possibly be butt-naked in here, and none other, revealed Jake.

He looked at me, eyebrows gently furrowed and a lighthearted smile crossing his face. He probably thought I was insane.

".. So.. what exactly are you doing?" His gaze was printed on my face, I just stared at him, a little bewildered and unsure of what to say for the moment.

Well, he could've came in any moment before this, and after, but clearly, just had to come in when I looked insane.

"The heels aren't exactly the most comfortable." I sighed, giving up and just accepting my fate.

Jake just gave a chuckle at me, his eyes trickling down from my face to my outfit and down back to my shoes.

"My bad, next time you can pick." He cleared his throat, looking anywhere but at me, "Alright, let's go."

He turned around quickly, heading down the grand staircase before I could even orient myself. Jesus, why the hell was this guy running off?

I rolled my eyes, checking myself out in the mirror for one last time, a black dress, black heels and a small clutch bag, I moved my hair to one side before heading out of my room and down to meet with Jake.

He watched, watched intently indeed, as I slowly took steps down his marble staircase. He didn't cut his gaze off at all, and lowkey, I just wanted to throw my heel at him, so he'd snap out of it, but I have to engage with my classy self today.

I walked past him, and before I could even head out of the door, he called for my name.

"Hikari." Jake simply spoke, his voice relatively low. I stopped, turning my head and gazing at him, his eyes dazzled, just purely at my glance at him.

"Hm?"

Jake swallowed hard, cleared his throat and looked at the ground briefly before heading up to me.

At first, I was taken aback when he lift one of my legs slightly up, he moved the slit of the dress out of the way and with a firm grasp around my thigh, he pulled something out of his pocket.

A garter with a gun attached to it.

I clenched my jaw together, watching as he gently tied the garter around my thigh, before letting go of my leg and looking up at me.

The tension between us, the silence as he did so, jesus, it somehow had my heart racing uncontrollably.

"Don't be afraid to use it." Jake stared into my eyes, giving that little arrogant chuckle he usually does, before proceeding to walk out of the house and unlock the car that was picked for the night.

I took a deep breath in, processing how I managed to almost crumble over a man doing something like that, see, I was genuinely going to lose my mind in this place.

But whatever, I collected myself relatively quickly, and head out of the door, walking towards the car that Jake was waiting inside.

I'm still mad at how he's the man I'm supposed to catch. I don't think I'll ever forgive the world for that.