36. pajama panic: nightmares

Third Person's PoV

Third Person's PoV

The stillness of the night was shattered at 4:30 AM when a piercing scream tore through the silence. Sky bolted upright, her breath ragged, her eyes wide with the remnants of a nightmare that clung to her like a second skin. The tranquility of the room was lost, replaced by a palpable tension that hung heavy in the air.

Karl and Micah were jolted awake, their hearts racing with sudden alarm. Confusion etched their features as they scrambled to orient themselves, the urgency of Sky's terror pulling them from the depths of their own slumber.

"What happened, Sky? Are you alright?" Karl's voice was thick with concern, his hands reaching out to steady her trembling form.

Micah moved closer, his protective instincts kicking in as he tried to decipher the fear that danced in Sky's eyes. "Tell us what is it," he urged gently, trying to piece together the cause of her distress.

Sky's sobs filled the room, each one a heart-wrenching echo of the terror that had seized her in the dream. Micah, acting on instinct, wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close to his chest in a protective embrace. Her tears soaked into his shirt, but he didn't mind; his only thought was to provide her with a sense of safety.

Karl, meanwhile, glanced at his watch, the glow of the dial illuminating the concern etched on his face. He let out a weary sigh, the reality of the early hour settling in. Leaning forward, he pressed a gentle kiss to Sky's forehead, a silent message of reassurance.

"I'll be right back," Karl murmured, his voice steady despite the turmoil within. He stood, his limbs stiff from the abrupt awakening, and made his way to the comfort room. The cold water from the tap was a shock to his system, but it was what he needed-a jolt to clear the fog of sleep and worry from his mind.

Back in the room, Micah continued to hold Sky, murmuring words of comfort. "It's just a dream, Sky. You're safe here, with us," he soothed, his hand stroking her hair in a calming rhythm.

Micah held Sky even tighter, creating a cocoon of warmth around her as she trembled with each sob. "You're not there anymore, Sky. You're here with us," he whispered, his voice a soothing balm to her fractured spirit.

Through the tears, Sky's words came in a torrent, her childhood memories spilling out in the safety of Micah's embrace. "I saw m-my dad... he was hurting my mom. And I was there, just a little girl, w-watching from behind the door. I couldn't move, couldn't scream... I was so s-scared," she choked out, the pain of the memory as vivid as if it were happening all over again.

Micah's heart clenched at her words, his protective nature flaring with a fierce intensity. "That little girl is not alone anymore, Sky. We're here, and we won't let anything hurt you," he assured her, his voice firm with conviction.

Karl returned from the comfort room, his face freshened by the cold water but his eyes still heavy with sleep and worry. He knelt by the bed, taking Sky's hand in his. "We're your family now, Sky. Your past won't reach you here," he said, his thumb gently wiping away her tears.