The REVELATION

The Revelation

The first rays of the morning sun filtered through the curtains, casting a soft glow across Roy's condo. As Roy stirred and slowly woke up, the dull ache in his head from the previous night's drinking was a stark reminder of the choices he'd been making lately. He blinked his eyes open, expecting to see the familiar disarray of his room, but instead, he saw Annie sitting in a chair beside the bed, her eyes red and puffy from a night of crying.

Roy's heart sank. He knew this moment had been coming, and he couldn't avoid it any longer. He sat up slowly, his mind racing as he tried to find the right words.

Annie," he began, his voice hoarse, "I didn't know you were here."

Annie's gaze was steady, her expression a mix of hurt and determination. "Roy, we need to talk. I can't keep doing this. Last night, I saw a message on your phone... from Donna."

Roy's heart skipped a beat. He had hoped to explain things on his own terms, but now he realized the gravity of the situation. He couldn't hide anymore.

Annie, I'm so sorry," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "I never wanted to hurt you."

Annie took a deep breath, trying to steady her emotions. "Just tell me the truth, Roy. Who is Donna? What's going on between you two?"

Roy looked down, shame flooding over him. "Donna is a fellow pilot. We've been spending a lot of time together during training. Things... things got complicated

Annie's eyes filled with tears again, but she refused to let them fall. "Complicated how, Roy? Are you in a relationship with her?"

Roy nodded slowly, unable to meet her gaze. "Yes, I am. It just happened. I didn't mean for it to, but it did. I'm so sorry, Annie."

Do you really love her more than me, Roy?" Annie choked out, her voice breaking. "You wasted our 12 years together. Who do you choose: me or that fucking bitch Donna?"

Roy's face twisted with guilt and sorrow. He knew there was no easy way to say what he had to say. "I'm sorry, Annie," he began, his voice barely a whisper. "I love Donna. I feel happy when I'm with her. Our relationship... it became so stagnant. I don't know what happened, but somehow the love is gone."

Annie's eyes widened in disbelief. "That's fucking bullshit, Roy!" she yelled, her voice raw with pain. "We were building a life together! How can you say the love is gone after everything we've been through?"

Roy winced at her words, but he forced himself to continue. "I know it sounds terrible, Annie, but it's the truth. I didn't want to hurt you. I didn't plan for this to happen. But Donna makes me feel alive in a way I haven't felt in a long time."

Annie shook her head, her hands balled into fists at her sides. "So, what? You just throw away everything we had because you found someone new and exciting? Do you even realize how selfish that is?"

Roy's eyes filled with tears. "I know, and I'm so sorry. I wish I could have handled this better. But I can't lie to you, Annie. I can't pretend that things are okay when they're not."

Annie took a step closer to him, her voice trembling with emotion. "Do you remember when we first met? How you told me I was the love of your life? How can you just forget all of that?"

Roy's face contorted with pain. "I haven't forgotten, Annie. Those memories mean everything to me. But somewhere along the way, we lost each other. I didn't know how to fix it, and I was too much of a coward to tell you."

Annie's tears fell harder now, her shoulders shaking with sobs. "So, this is it? After 12 years, you're just done with us?"

Roy's own tears spilled over as he nodded. "I don't want to be, but I don't see a way back. I'm so sorry, Annie. I never wanted to hurt you like this."