Chapter 4

Since that night he would drop by just to check in. You couldn't believe that you'd actually befriended a vigilante. A part of you wanted to tell Matt and Foggy, but the danger it could pose for not just him, but them, made you hesitant. So for the time being you decided that it was best to keep it to yourself.

This particular night he was seated on the floor, legs folded.

"Your friends sound like great guys."

You nod, chewing on your gummy bears.

"They are! Foggy is by far the funniest guy you will ever meet in your life. Ever since we met he's always looked out for me. He even turned down a date with a hot girl to look after me when I was sick last year. If you know Foggy, that's the ultimate sign of love."

He smiles.

"It sounds like he cares about you."

"Mhmm, he's like a brother to me."

He knew he shouldn't tip the boat, but he couldn't help but ask. He was curious about your opinion of him.

"What about your other friend?"

"Mmm, he's great too."

You fidget with the snack now, looking down at your lap. He can spot the hesitance, so now he's intrigued by the reason.

"It seems like there might be more to it than that."

You twiddle the treat in your hand.

"It's nothing bad it's just..sometimes he comes in with these bruises. Matt is blind you see, so sometimes he gets hurt, but he won't ask for help. I know he doesn't want to be a burden to me or Foggy, but we're his friends. I want to ask him, offer help but I'm scared that I might upset him and if he got mad and stopped talking to me I'd be miserable."

You lower your head, and he nods in understanding.

"If he's as great as you say, then he won't be upset if you're trying to look out for him. Maybe just talk to him, he sounds like a reasonable person."

"You're right, Matt is nice, if I just talk to him, I'm sure he'll appreciate it. Thanks Mr. Daredevil. You should really become a therapist, you're a good listener. Well, I guess given your side job it might be a bit difficult huh?"

He can't help but smile.

"Yeah, it might be."

You grin, throwing a gummy bear and he catches it easily.

"Geez sometimes your reflexes are insane. I would have missed that. Look."

You threw one in the air with the intention to catch it in your mouth, but it bounces off your nose and onto the floor.

"See!!"

He starts laughing.

"You just need to focus a little better, watch."

He threw his own in the air and with one easy move to the left, it dropped right into his mouth.

"Easy."

He chewed and you just glared at him playfully.

"You're like a ninja, I don't think it counts."

"It sounds like you're a sore loser."

"Am not!!"

It was nice, being the one he seemed to confide in. Those nights were great. Just having someone to talk to. The following morning you meet Matt in the library. With Daredevil's advice in mind, you walked right up to him.

"Hey Matt."

He turned at your call, a smile stretching on his face.

"Hey."

You could do it, all you have to do is ask if he needs help.

"I can do this, I can do this!"

With the pep talk, you finally get the words out.

"I-I'm worried about you. You've been getting hurt a lot and I just wanted to let you know that if you ever need help, Foggy and I are here for you." You hoped that you'd gotten your point across without somehow offending him. The easy smile he gave you made your anxieties just wash away.

"I appreciate it. Since you're offering, I wanted to check out that sandwich place across the street. Do you mind?" He held out his hand and you nod excitedly.

"Of course, let's go!"

Linking arms, you walked away with him, making a mental reminder to thank Daredevil for his sound advice. Turns out vigilantes were good at more than just kicking criminal butt.