Chapter 8

Saturday couldn't come soon enough. You'd spent the better part of that afternoon going through outfits. Finally you'd settled on a nice blouse and some jeans.

"Keep it casual, you're not trying to overdo it."

Even though that's what you say, you've checked yourself in the mirror at least ten times already. The knock on your door pulls your attention.

"Coming!"

You rush to the door, grabbing your phone off the counter. You expect a casually dressed Matt, but he's actually wearing a suit.

"Hey."

You're definitely blushing again. You've always thought that Matt had this boyish charm, but dressed like this, he looks very much like a man.

"You..look really good Matt."

"Thank you. I don't think I really need my sight to appreciate how beautiful you are."

If he uses more lines like that, you won't last the night. You accept it shyly, as you move to close your door.

"My car is parked over by the student union, I hope you don't mind a little walk."

He takes your hand.

"I don't mind at all."

His fingers interlock with your own and you lecture yourself to maintain your cool.

"I'M NOT GONNA MAKE IT!!"

Tonight will surely be interesting.

~

The trip into town takes maybe twenty minutes. The ride there you both share stories. A few of them involve Foggy and his little adventures. You have to admit that you're thankful. If you never met Foggy, you probably wouldn't have met Matt. You'll have to remember to thank him.

The restaurant seems a bit fancier than you expected.

"Table for two under Murdock."

You're a bit surprised when Matt takes charge. The waiter nods, checking the reservation and then grabbing a menu.

"Right this way."

You follow along as he provides a seat.

"Can I get you anything to drink.?"

"Just water for me." You answer.

"I'll have the same." Matt states.

The waiter nods, placing the menus down to look over. When he walks away you can't help but ask.

"You got a reservation?"

Matt nods.

"You've been gushing about this place to Foggy for a while now so I did some research. I wanted to make sure everything was perfect."

You might just cry right there.

"Thank you Matt, that's so sweet of you."

"Of course."

He smiles and you realize at that moment that he can't really read the menu. You shouldn't feel so happy about doing something like this for him. It's become somewhat common now, still, you're glad. You go through a few of the dishes just as the waiter comes back with your drinks. You both settle on a pasta dish and he takes it, heading off once again.

Once the food is delivered, an easy conversation settles.

"So I don't think I ever asked, but how did you meet Foggy?"

You're mid slurp when he proposes said question. You suck up the last noodle with a laugh. Patting your lips with the napkin, you think back.

"Foggy was trying to get with my classmate back in high school. I thought it was funny because she had a boyfriend and he didn't know. I had to break the news to him. I sat with him eating a break up ice cream even though he never even got to date her."

Matt laughs.

"That sounds like Foggy."

"Mhmm, and now he's one of my closest friends. I've never really had a brother, so I really appreciated the way he looked out for me. I was pretty sheltered growing up. Sort of soft spoken. A few of the guys in the class would mess with me cause they knew I never retaliated and he stood up for me."

Matt feels a bit content hearing something so heartfelt. It's clear that such a gesture meant the world to you.

"If I'm being honest, when I met you I was kind of jealous. I spent a semester abroad, so we would email back and forth. He kept raving about how great you were. I guess I was worried that he replaced me. Sounds a bit silly right?"

Matt shakes his head.

"Not at all, I get it. If we're making confessions I sort of picked up on it."

"What! But you never said anything."

"I wanted you to like me. Foggy loves you and I really wanted to make a good impression."

You feel a bit embarrassed.

"I can't believe it. I was so childish."

You can't help but laugh at how it all turned out.

"I'm glad that we were both able to meet."

The statement makes you look up, and he reaches over, taking your hand. Your cheeks are once again a mess of cherry red.

"I'm glad too."

A smile settles on his face as you both enjoy the rest of the night.

When it's time to leave, you almost don't want to go. After you dropped your car back into the parking lot, Matt insisted on walking you home, even though his place was closer than yours. By the time you make it to your door, you feel very satisfied with how the night has gone. It was better than expected. You were so worried that it would be awkward, but it feels natural. 

Comfortable.

"Thank you for the invitation, I had a lot of fun."

Standing with your door open, you smile up at him.

"I'm the one who should be thanking you Matt. Tonight was great. Maybe we can do it again?" You ask hopefully.

"I thought you would never ask."

You're beaming and you can just picture the playful twinkle behind those ruby glasses. For a moment you just stand there, because you're sure that he's looking at you, but he's not really saying anything. He takes a step closer, and you seem to pick up on what's about to happen. Your eyes widen and panic mode sets in.

"W-Well good night!!"

You step back, slamming the door right in his face.

Curse your cowardly nerves.