Chapter 16

Since that day, you hadn't spoken to Matt.

It's been roughly three weeks.

You were grateful for the summer break. You needed the space. Your intention had been to spend the break with him, but at the moment, you couldn't even look at him. A part of you wanted to go home, but any probing from your parents about your sullen mood would just make you feel worse. So you packed for a few weeks and headed to a friend of yours.

Karen Paige.

She was staying in the city with her boyfriend Frank and she'd told you that her job at the publishing firm needed another assistant. They were looking for any interested interns. You jumped at the opportunity.

You just needed to get away.

Away from your pain.

Away from him.

When you got there she smiled.

You knew she figured out something was wrong on the phone. That's probably why she'd hugged you so tight and encouraged you to stay until the start of your next semester if you needed too. It was sweet, and you were grateful. Eventually you gave her a general round down of what you were going through. You knew it would be stupid to act like nothing was wrong. As far as she knew, you'd just broken up with your lying boyfriend.

"You want me to have Frank talk to this boyfriend of yours?"

From Frank's stature, you knew there probably wouldn't be much talking.

"T-That's okay."

You were mad at Matt, but you didn't want his body mangled. Vigilante or not, Frank was ex-military and very terrifying.

"Say the word kid."

His stoic expression just instilled more fear. That guy had definitely dropped a few bodies.

You laugh awkwardly.

"Please never send him after me if we fight."

"No promises." Karen stated.

It was a nice distraction.

The first couple days you got settled in. Karen had already taken you to her firm, so you were getting your resume and other documents in order to start the following week. While you were waiting for the process, Karen and Frank had taken you to a few places. An amusement park, the movies, that weird museum that was sort of creepy and cool. It was nice. Seeing her happy, and actually seeing someone as brutish looking as Frank smile was sort of funny.

By the time you made it to the weekend, you were doing your laundry and preparing for the start of your job. Karen had left to run an errand, so Frank was in charge of making lunch. He'd just gotten back from the grocery store when you heard his call.

"Hey kid."

You jump at his voice.

"Geez, you scared the crap out of me."

He just dropped the pack of gummies on the top of your head. You took it off slowly, staring.

"You looked sad. Don't cry."

That's all he said, walking away. You couldn't help but smile. The guy looked like a grizzly bear, but he was all soft on the inside. Just like your gummies. For the remainder of your weekend, you actually hadn't thought much about Matt.

Not until you saw the text.

"I know you don't want to hear from me, but I just need to know that you're okay."

You had half a mind to ignore him. He should be miserable. That's what your head says. You know it's petty. Regardless of the lies, you can't seem to do anything to truly spite him. You're still trying to figure out what this secret means for your future.

For a while you just stare at it. With a soft exhale, you send a reply.

"I'm okay."

Clicking the home button, you stare as the screen goes dark. No use dwelling on it. You slide it back into your pocket.

"Frank, stop it!"

You can hear Karen's laughter from your spot in the kitchen. When you walk out, he has her over his shoulders like a sack of potatoes. You can't help but laugh as well.

"What's going on?" You giggle.

Karen is hitting his back playfully and he's just smiling.

"She thought she could beat me in a wrestling match."

He grins and Karen continues to laugh as he does a little spin. He finally places her on the couch. She's trying to gather her breath. You don't think anything of it when he makes his way over to you. You do however know it's trouble when he picks you up easily.

"Thought you could get away kid."

Your arms flail around dramatically.

"W-Woah! Wait, I'm an innocent bystander!!"

Karen is in stitches when he starts spinning you.

Through the whole ordeal, Karen appreciates the smile on your face, because despite your protests, you're laughing. It's the first real smile you've worn since you got there.

She's happy.