Chapter 23

It's easier to be yourself, be with him when there are no secrets. 

You've been craving the closeness. Laying in your bed with Matt, it finally seems to settle. All that he does, all that he's been through.

"I don't think it's that simple. I think she might be..in love with someone else."

At that time, he must have been convinced that if you ever found out the truth, then you would leave. In a way he wasn't wrong. It was hard to grasp. It can't be easy, being two people and constantly hiding it. Especially from the people you care most about. Maybe that's why you feel a need to reassure him.

"Matt, you know I love you, right?"

He turns his head against the pillow and you reach over, brushing your hand along his cheek. There's a small smile on his lips.

"I know. I love you too."

Those words make you grin and soon enough, Matt is wearing a similar look.

"Are you smiling?"

"Yes!"

You laugh, leaning over and placing kisses all over his face. He's laughing himself just as elated as you. There's nothing that can truly express how good it feels to be completely yourself with someone. Someone who accepts all of it. The realization of it makes you start to pull away, and he leans back just a little when he feels the shift. You're now sitting upright, and he raises a brow. He takes notice of the way your heart rate has picked up and he's even more confused.

"Is everything okay?"

You nod slowly, and he waits for an explanation. Your legs carefully move as you inch off the bed. All he hears is shuffling of clothing. His brows furrowed, that's until he hears the distinctive sound of your clothes hitting the floor. He straightens when the reality of the situation kicks in.

You're naked.

"(Y/N) you-"

"Please Matt."

He can hardly believe it, you're pleading. Your knees press into the mattress and he swallows. He can almost taste your arousal in the air. You lean over and press one kiss, one single kiss to his lips before you lay back on the bed.

An invitation.

More than anything he wants to.

He wants to touch you, hold you, be with you in every sense of the word, but he needs this to be your choice. Not some obligation you might feel towards him. He hates that his mind runs to that place. Although he had saved your life, you were in love with him long before you knew his identity and even after all of that, you came back to him. That should be proof enough but..maybe it's possible that he's just too tainted. Too broken.

Irredeemable.

"Are you sure?"

He sounds about ready to cry and you understand why. For both of you, crossing this line would be difficult to come back from. Once this happens, you're not sure you'll be able to let go and he's not sure he'll ever be able to let you go.

This won't just be about sex. It'll be a vow, a commitment. He needs you to realize that because he's already so far gone.

"I'm sure."

Two words. That's all it took. He lets out a breath, one he hadn't even realized he'd been holding in. He can almost feel the smile you're now wearing.

"H-Hurry up Matt I'm dying over here."

He laughs, despite his fears. Nodding as he straightens and begins to discard his clothing. Your eyes have a hard time looking at anything but him. In your little adventures, you'd never truly seen him naked. He's fairly toned, not that you're surprised. Given his extra activities it's understandable. Yet, it's still a very breathtaking view. You press your thighs together, because the sight is already urging a reaction.