4

The sun dipped low on the horizon, casting a warm golden glow through the curtains of their cozy home. It was Sunday, and the air hummed with anticipation. Tonight was the dreaded family dinner, an event Kylie would rather have skipped altogether. But appearances mattered, especially when it came to Jordan.

Kylie leaned against the kitchen counter, her fingers tracing the delicate patterns etched into the marble. She'd much rather have stayed in, curled up with a book and a glass of wine, while Jordan whipped up one of their favorite meals. The four of them—Kylie, Jordan, Stormi, and little Aire—could have eaten together, laughing and sharing stories about their week. It would have been perfect, intimate, and real.

But life wasn't that simple. The family despised Jordan, their collective disdain palpable. They saw Jordan as an interloper, an outsider who had somehow ensnared Kylie's heart. The whispers at family gatherings were sharp, like shards of glass. And Kylie knew that missing yet another event would only fuel their animosity.

So, she had no choice. She'd put on her best smile, slip into a dress that screamed "I'm fine," and play the dutiful daughter. Jordan, ever patient, would be by her side, navigating the minefield of judgmental glances and passive-aggressive comments. Their love was strong, but it was also fragile—a delicate balance between defiance and vulnerability.

In Stormi's room, Jordan knelt by the crib, gently lifting her baby girl into their arms. Stormi's eyes blinked sleepily, her tiny fingers curling around Jordan's thumb. The soft glow of the nightlight painted their faces in muted hues. Jordan hummed a lullaby, the same one Kylie had sung to Stormi when she was born. It was a secret melody, a promise of protection and unwavering love.

Aire, on the other hand, had been fussy all day. His cries echoed through the house, a symphony of protest. Kylie suspected he shared her sentiments about the impending dinner. Babies were perceptive that way—they sensed tension, even when they couldn't understand its source. Jordan had tried everything: rocking him, singing, and even a silly dance that made Stormi giggle. But Aire remained inconsolable.

As Jordan adjusted Stormi's tiny bowtie (yes, she insisted on dressing her up for the occasion), Kylie peeked into the room. Their eyes met—a silent exchange of understanding. Jordan's expression softened, and she mouthed, "We'll get through this."

Back in the hallway, Kylie leaned against the doorframe. Jordan emerged, Stormi cradled against her chest. The scent of baby powder and determination clung to them. Kylie's heart swelled. Despite the odds, they'd found each other at a charity gala—their eyes locking across a crowded room. Stolen kisses in dimly lit corners, whispered promises, and late-night phone calls had woven their love story.

Jordan rolled her eyes at Kylie's stubbornness. "You're a force, you know that?" she teased, their lips brushing against her forehead. "We'll survive this dinner, just like we've survived everything else."

And in that moment, as Aire's cries echoed down the hallway, Kylie believed them. Their love was a quiet rebellion, a defiance against convention and prejudice. Tonight, they'd hold hands under the table, share secret smiles, and weather the storm together.

The sun dipped low, casting a warm glow over the driveway. Jordan, ever the gentle soul, buckled Stormi and Aire into their baby seats. The click of the safety harnesses echoed like a promise—a silent vow to protect their little ones. Kylie watched from the porch, her heart swelling with affection. These were the moments she cherished: Jordan opening the car door for her, the chivalry that made her feel like a princess.

As Jordan held the door, their eyes met—a thousand unspoken words passing between them. It wasn't just about convenience; it was a gesture of love, a way of saying, "I see you, I honor you." Kylie stepped into the car, the leather seat cool against her skin. She stole a glance at Jordan, who mouthed, "You look beautiful, babe." The blush that crept up Kylie's cheeks was both embarrassing and endearing. Jordan's compliments never lost their magic.