Chapter 29

"I am sorry, Montero." Sa pagtawag pabalik kay Paolo ni Rene Mercado. "I couldn't get the approval to increase the budget unless we can prove to them that this case is indeed within our purview and is going somewhere, which, I know, is what we are trying to accomplish here. They are furious that you used up all fifty-five million pesos of government funds for this scrupulous membership without a game plan on how to get it back or get something big for the resolution of the case. They said we could have hired a cyberpunk instead, which was the best thing we could have done. They want you to get the money back and get you relieved from this case with immediate and indefinite suspension ASAP."

Napamura ng pabulong si Paolo.

"You are a very smart young man, and you mean well." Pagpapatuloy ni Rene Mercado, "You've aced all your academics and CPA licensure exam. I believed in your potential so much, so I put you in charge of the task force for this case. But I have to admit the fault on my part that I have prematurely put you on a very critical mission and have ignored the fact that you are still an entrant and that you need to learn the ropes and the nitty-gritty aspects of our operations first before I put you on to something this huge."

Napipikon man si Paolo sa naging outcome. Gustuhin man niyang magalit, he took it as a bitter pill—a painful learning experience to get better. His supervisor was right. He shouldn't have given up the money to those criminals. He should have discreetly hired a grey hat instead or have done something else that wouldn't pass on any benefit to those malefactors. When he invests money in illegal operations, he is no different from those who aid and abet criminals.

Naguguluhan at napu-frustrate man si Paolo, he calmly and professionally responded with, "I'll get the money back, Sir."

"How?"

"I'll take care of it, Sir. Don't worry."

"You understand that even if you get the money back, you'll still be suspended indefinitely, right?"

Napapikit at napabuntong-hininga muna ang binata, "yes, Sir.'

"I will take your word for that. Call me."

"Copy, Sir."

The call ended.

***

After 20 hours...

"What the heck are you doing here?" Pambungad ni Gabbie nang pinagbuksan niya ang kumakatok sa kanyang pinto.

Pumasok na agad si Paolo, at siya na mismo ang nagsara ng pintuan. "I'm out of the case. I am also suspended indefinitely."

"What?"

"Don't ask." Sumalampak ito sa sofa. "Saka ko na lang ikukuwento ang lahat sa 'yo kapag umayos na ang takbo nitong utak ko. For now, I just have to make sure na maibalik ang isang milyong dulyar na nadispalko ko sa lintek na VIP membership na 'yon..."

"Dispalko talaga?"

"Maling-mali ang diskarte ko, tanggap ko na 'yon. Now, I have to face the consequences like a man."

"Pero di ba sabi mo non-refundable ang pera? Paano mo ngayon babawiin 'yun?"

Hindi sumagot si Paolo, which is an enough response for Gabbie.

"OMG, huwag mong sabihin na aabonohan mo 'yun?"

"Shhh." Nakatingala ito sa kesame. "If you tell anyone, I'll deny it."

"That's more than fifty-five million pesos, Partz!"

Saglit na sinulyapan ni Paolo si Gabbie na may halong pagngisi.

"Well," biglang pagkambyo ni Gabbie, "I know you can afford that, but still... That's a lot of money to lose in a day!"

"I can earn it back in a day as well."