Chapter 40: Weight of the Crown

Ten years ago, a heinous crime shook the Mushroom Kingdom. Disguised as a diplomatic mission, King Bowser's consort, Stheno, infiltrated the rulers' private quarters and assassinated King Agaricus and Queen Seraphina. The maid discovered their lifeless bodies with their throats slashed during the guard rotation. Stheno was apprehended and confessed to the crime, claiming she acted in Bowser's honor.

Evidence tied Bowser to the assassination, including letters with his royal seal threatening the Mushroom Kingdom and a message found on Stheno. Reports of increased military activity in the Darklands suggested preparations for war. Despite these damning details, Bowser's defense argued his innocence, emphasizing his long-held belief in peace with the Mushroom Kingdom, contrary to the desires of a rebellious faction within his realm.

In court, Bowser broke his silence, revealing the abuse he suffered at Stheno's hands. He exposed her true identity as the rebel leader's daughter, her cunning deception in aiding peace talks before executing the assassination, and her manipulation, even using her pregnancy to protect herself as she organized her pawns.

For years, after the assassinations, the Mushroom Kingdom wrongfully punished the king for crimes he didn't commit; they turned their back on a kingdom in need and even convinced their allies to do the same, a misinformed decision. In response, the Darklands became bitter towards the Allied Kingdoms; such emotions spilled over, leading to the theft of Power Stars and the destruction of their capitals at the hands of Bowser. If it weren't for the sudden appearance of Mario and Luigi, the world would have fallen into war once again...

So why?

Why? If all it took was one trial, where both groups shared their version of events, why did it take so long? Eyes were turning to the princess responsible. The courtroom wanted to know the reason why the assassinations and peace talks were covered up. So much could have been avoided had King Bowser been brought to trial sooner, revealing the deception his consort enacted upon all the kingdom. She has been playing them all for fools, all because of Peach's actions.

She's going to answer for her lies.

The Toadstool Queen has no right to hide behind the skirts and robes of her family, like some sort of child.

»--•--«

As people began filing back into the courtroom, Mario remained on the balcony, stunned by everything he had seen. He realized just how out of the loop he had been. It wasn't out of malice; politics had never interested him. His heart was always set on exploration and adventure. He leaned against the railing, trying to process the revelations. Bowser, a figure he had always seen as a straightforward antagonist, now seemed enveloped in a web of political intrigue and personal tragedy. Mario's mind raced through memories of their countless confrontations, now colored with newfound complexity.

The murmurs of the crowd below filled the air as the court session resumed. Mario glanced at the Council table; he could see the disappointment and sadness, even from this height. The new member, Birdette, (who Mario met during the break and found out is some form of Yoshi) wasn't even present. The man can't blame her; things have been nothing but intense since the trial started. Mario gripped his arms and glanced at Peach's table.

She was still wearing that veil. Toadsworth kept wiping his face and shifting papers around; Mario really hoped he was not searching for something else to hold against Bowser. The full picture was clear enough. His consort (Mario was disgusted to even refer to her as such) carried out assassinations and took advantage of past conflicts, successfully placing the blame on Bowser. After all, he was the villain in everyone's eyes, right? At least at the time... But now that the truth is revealed, Mario just wanted the guy to be left alone.