Chapter 45: Future

"Dear Fenrir, I believe whatever you may be accusing her of is best discussed in private. Matters related to the Gods is not for human ears," Jor immediately replied with.

At that point, I regained my ability to think. Jor's comment reminded me that I could not let myself be taken aback by a simple accusation. What proofs does he have? I took a deep breath and stood up, mustering what little courage I could find to continue:

"I agree. You can't simply say that kind of thing for free. I think we need to...discuss it."

I turned over to Souji and Riogh. They both nodded at me and moved towards the other people who stayed to have them leave. I was visibly shaking and my mind was incapable of much complex thought, so having their help was invaluable.

"Foregoing the honorifics, I see," Fenrir suddenly said after a short silence. "Are you perhaps provoking me?"

"I wouldn't dare. However, I believe you would agree if I said that regardless of the reason for your accusation, it is best kept under closed doors."

"That does not explain your lack of respect."

"I simply respect the Gods more than I do you. I hope you understand."

To my hazy surprise, he did not retaliate. Maybe he too respects the gods as much as Jor.

After a while, Souji and Riogh came back and told me everyone evacuated. They managed to have even the general leave. Thanks to the short-tern rest and their good news, I was able to feel well enough to join into whatever discussion was next.

"Now that we are among those who know, I will ask again. Fenrir-dono, how come you would say such a thing?" Jor asked.

"Denying it? I cannot be wrong. This little dragon human hybrid abomination is the reincarnation of the late Jotunheim."

"First of all, that's rude," I commented. "Second of all, we're not denying it, we're asking for proofs and reasons. What gave it away?"

"I will say what you are. You have the exact same power as he once did. You naturally command my respect much like he used to, respect no other creature or God had demanded. And you have the exact smell of a dragon. Not a dragonewt, not a dragonoid, a legitimate dragon. Yet you are not one, so you are an abomination. An anomaly, even."

"...You met with the Gods?"

"Yes. Only Cassandra and I are still alive to this day who once walked alongside them. Is that so difficult to believe for an immortal one such as I?"

"Fenrir-dono, it is the first I hear of it myself," Jor added. "I believe it isn't common knowledge."

"Hmpf. Lacking in important information you all are. In any case, tell me little one. Who are you?"

"...I'm Lilia."

"Yes, I figured that much. What I'm asking is, who are you to hold the vacant place of the God of Life?"

"...I don't get it."

"Lacking information and brains. You aren't worth my time explaining. I will be going to relay to Cassandra what she wanted to know."

He spread his wings, creating a gust of wind in the process.

"To the new God, I must ask. What will you do with your position and power?"

He looked at me dead in the eye. It was deeply intimidating, yet did not make me falter. It was a question I hadn't asked myself since I had decided to take on this role.

"I...I don't know. But I will do my best to do what I must do."

He stared me down with an increasingly threatening glare. I did not falter. I had to make my stand here. Something compelled me to prove myself to him.