Chapter 35: Reality

The possibility of having found the enemy leader was a sudden yet appreciated information. Additionally, we now knew who that person was as well. I stood back up on the bed and thought of how to proceed from there.

"Did you get to see her face and overall body?"

"I did not. As I was trying to leave, she was relentlessly attacking me. Our position is compromised, the enemy knows of our existence."

"How can you be so sure?"

"If I were the enemy leader, I would not indiscriminately attack a hydra when it came close. It not only puts a strain on the covert operation, but risks deaths as well. Rare would be hydras that don't retaliate upon being attacked, as we are a prideful yet defensive species."

"...So you're saying the reason she did that was because she knew why you found them?"

"Yes. She must know we have been investigating them."

"In that case I must hurry to tell Souji. Any lost day is a significant risk we're taking."

"I agree. I also would like Alice to stay near the place the enemy was found so she can carefully monitor things thanks to her sensitivity to magic. We might not be able to approach them, we can still monitor their movements."

"Alice, do you think you can?"

"But I want to continue the spell with Master..."

"I understand, but this takes priority. If you think you can do it safely, it's best you do."

"...I understand. I will do my best, Master."

She still seemed somewhat saddened by the situation. I knew I had to spur her on, responsibilities taking priority.

"Thank you, Alice. Can you get to Jor's position and help him recover first?"

"Yes!"

I felt something happen, and they stopped talking. I figured Alice simply went to Jor, and I laid back down into the bed. I was hoping to go back to sleep easily, but thoughts flooded my mind. What should I do moving forward, how and when.

I eventually managed to fall asleep, though the next morning wasn't quite relaxing. I suddenly felt something on my shoulder, making me jolt awake. I reflexively grabbed whatever was on my shoulder and pulled it away before sitting up, ready to do whatever I had to.

It was then I realised. Sayuri had placed her hand on my shoulder, likely to wake me up. She seemed to be bewildered and in a bit of pain. I released her hand as she shook it.

"...I'm sorry, that was a reflex."

She surprisingly didn't answer. Maybe she wasn't sure what to say. I looked around the room to try and figure out what was happening and noticed two things. First, the sun had risen more than usual, meaning I slept in. Second, the Cataract had started floating behind Sayuri, as if in response to my sudden reflex.

I made the artefact go back to its place and got out of bed. I changed, ate breakfast and headed for class, my mind still hazy from last night's thoughts. Even in class, I would not stop trying to find a solution to the recent information.

"Lilia!" was suddenly shouted in my ears.

"Eh, yes?"

"Were you listening?"

"Ah, I'm sorry I'm kind of out of it today."

"We're in class, so stay focused."

"I apologize."

After being chewed out by Tanaka-san, I slapped my own cheeks and went back to focusing on class, at least as much as I could.
The same happened for the class afterwards, resulting in my mental exhaustion by lunch.