Chapter 49: Quest

Riogh, Greg and I kept fighting late into the evening, the sun slowly setting down. The battles were far more manageable, as I sometimes managed to put them in a bad position myself, though their teamwork would always eventually best me. Souji took a little bit of time to tell me his thoughts on the battle, namely in regards to the summons themselves, and I went back towards the academy.

On the way, Cassandra asked me:

"I apologize as I was slow to realise, but shouldn't you have wings?"

"Oh. Yeah, I do have some, but I have to hide them away. Being a yokai and all."

"That is quite unfortunate. Flight is a very powerful tool during battle, especially for one who relies on magic like you and I."

"I can imagine. Unfortunately, as much as I want to, I can't learn to fly..."

"A pity indeed."

The rest of the way went on silently. I received an oddly high amount of glares from people around, though ultimately tried to not let it bother me.

When I arrived at the gate, I saw a military man exit just before I passed through. When he noticed me, he shot me a strong accusatory glare. To be more precise, he shot it towards Cassandra. I was a bit worried about her possible reaction so I tried to take his thoughts away:

"Good evening sir."

He didn't reply and went on his way. Happy to have potentially stopped a confrontation, I went in. The guard did follow through, however.

"You're coming in quite late. You should come back earlier next time.

"Sorry, I ended up far busier than I intended. I'll try to do that as I can."

He seemed satisfied with the answer and let me in. Dinner was already underway so I went to eat mine before taking a bath and sleeping.

The next day, I offered Sayuri to train together. To my surprise, she rejected my offer and instead asked to go around town together. I was a bit confused, but remembered that she ultimately is still young. Training every time would be boring for her. So, I agreed.

Cassandra wanted to follow us under the guise of "learning more about human behavior" but Sayuri was also against it so she didn't join. Thus, Sayuri and I went ahead and walked around town.

Everything seemed incredible to Sayuri, as if she had never seen the world before. It took me some time to remember how her mother was, so she likely was sheltered for much of her life...

Eventually, some hours after we left, we arrived in front of the guild's building. Sayuri stopped and pondered for a bit.

"Hey Lilia, do you want to try going at the guild?"

"Uh, sure. We are allowed as students, I believe."

She nodded enthusiastically, grabbed my hand and pulled me into the guild. Seeing her both mesmerised and disappointed told me it was her first time in here, since the building hall is fairly simple looking.

"Welcome to the guild, Sayuri."

She didn't even dare reply and went directly to the guild board, where simpler and more urgent quests were displayed. I sighed a little and followed her. As she was looking through everything, I heard Riogh behind me:

"Hey Lilia, fancy seeing you here today."

"Oh, Riogh, hello. Where are the others?"

"Sundays are our day off remember?"

"Oh yeah, Souji did mention it before."

"Yeah, so I'm drinking here. Anyways, who's your friend and where is Cassandra?"