Chapter 18: Relics

"Hi," I awkwardly replied.

"We'll talk more once off-duty. Is that fine?"

"Yeah, sure."

I stared at him as he went to the general, still unsure what to think of all this. I settled on him being serious of his current situation and not willing to give any room for personal feelings and matters during duty.

It hurt all the same, but I rationalised enough it wouldn't have a lasting impact. Once sufficiently calm, I tried to listen to what they were talking about.

They already finished their conversation, as the general was waiting in front of me.

"Are you in enough shape to continue?"

"Yeah, I should be fine."

"Then it's your job now. Go and talk to the Eldest Hydra."

"Talk?"

"Your father, the Great Summoner, explained that the method he used was exhaustion and persuasion. By exhausting the target, they become calmer and more apt to listening and leaving their enraged state."

"And it's up to me to talk to him?"

"Yes. You and your hydra."

She isn't my hydra, or so I wish I could say. Unfortunately, trouble wouldn't be good to create. I agreed, got up and walked towards him. Skadi followed me, though I could tell that she was either scared or worried.

"Alice, any news?"

"The hydra is stuck under massive rock formations, but he still isn't moving."

I didn't bother replying to that and instead focused on what I would be able to tell him. There was no predicting his reaction or state of mind, so I had to prepare ahead.

"Come back with the Cataract please, we're headed to you."

"Yes, Master!"

The walk felt unending, filled with anxiety. Alice eventually caught up to us and simply stood on my head as I made the Cataract follow us. Her arrival scared almost everyone, but they quickly realised she was with us so nothing bad happened.

We arrived and I still didn't know what even to say. I headed to his heads and stood in front of the middle one, resolved to do whatever I had to do help him.

"Jor, wake up!" I screamed as loud as I could.

...No reaction, he didn't budge at all. I didn't think yelling would wake him up but I tried nonetheless.

"We'll have to wait until he wakes up of his own," I said to the General. "Forcibly awakening him might have bad effects on him and his mental state."

"Understood. Everyone, standby!" he ordered.

We then idled around. Skadi laid down next to me and allowed me to sit and lay back on her like before. Knowing she was here helped ease the tension a little since she would be able to help with the next task.

We ended up having to wait until dusk until movement was noticed. We just stood around talking, not really doing anything. I made sure to stay in the same spot so I ended up mostly left alone.

"I can feel something happen to the hydra," Alice warned me.

"Huh? Is he waking up?"

"I think so."

I stood up and headed a little closer. Skadi quickly realised and asked me:

"Is something going on?"

"Yes. He might be waking up soon."