Chapter 23: Guild

"Oh, hello Sayuri. How are you?"

Despite my best efforts, my anxiety had been let out in my tone. I knew something would go wrong, I simply didn't know what, so I was as careful as I could with what I said and did.

Verifying Sayuri's state, however, I could mostly see...glee and anger? I could not discern any hint of fear.

"That's my question! Where have you been?" she almost yelled.

"Uh, I thought I told you?"

"No, you didn't, you just left!"

"I...I'm sorry. I had an important matter to attend to and I had to leave quickly."

"Just how important was it?"

"I...would have gotten evicted from the city if I didn't go immediately, kind of important?"

Her expression suddenly turned sour.

"...Was it really that serious?"

"Yes," I replied with a straight face.

"...Are you okay?"

"I...don't know. I certainly feel fine, maybe a bit tired still. I'm not even close to done with what I have to do anyways."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I need to talk to the principal, go to the guild, and maybe even find Lynn for something about the quest taking for first years."

"Oh, she did ask you to talk to the Nightbreakers. Did you get to see them?"

"Yes, I got lucky in that they were leaving right as I was arriving."

"That's nice. So? Will they help?"

"They said they'll think about it."

"So...That's good?"

"It seems so, at least. Now, sorry, can I go change?"

"Oh, yes I'm sorry."

She slowly left the room. I was expecting to just change in the bathroom but that was fine too. I quickly got myself changed, folded the military uniform and left the room. Sayuri was waiting for me outside.

"I'm done."

"I'm glad. Anything you want to do?"

"Go give the uniform back, then I'd like to find Lynn and Koko-sensei."

"Oh. Alright."

"Yeah as I said I have things to do."

"It's getting late so come back quickly okay?"

"Yeah, sure, don't worry about me though."

I waved at her and left for the gate. The guard was curious what I wanted to do outside but I quickly explained and he let me leave. I went directly to the palace, where the guards allowed me in.

I went to the barracks and entered. There was a soldier there who saw me and came over.

"Hey, who are you? This isn't a place for kids."

"Yeah, it isn't, but this isn't the first time I'm here anyways. Here, your uniform, I'm here to give it back."

"Huh? Why do you have that?"

"Just finished using it, so I'm returning it. Can you take care of it? I don't know everything around here."

"I, uh, I guess I can?"

"Alright great, thank you."

I put it in his arms and left. I found it somewhat funny that someone actually mentioned that having a childlike soldier was somewhat wrong morally after all I've done.