Thirty

ALESSIA AMATO

"Ugh, that's disgusting

"Ugh, that's disgusting." Mia says after I recite Haruki's words. "He had it coming." She refers to Liam beating his ass.

The woman came knocking on our door early in the morning, looking beautiful in a pink dress and white, knitted sweater. Her long hair clipped back, ending with loose curls.

As soon as I saw her broad smile and smelt her strawberry scent, I felt my chest squeeze with happiness. Mia has been such a good friend to me, been beside me when I needed someone, helped me get through any trouble.
She's also been the friend that if I've ever mentioned her to my parents, they let me go anywhere with her.

"Haven't you known him for some time? Didn't he ever seem like a jerk?" I ask, confused.

"He did." She sighs. "He always used to get so angry and fed up with my questions. You know how I get when I'm unsure of something." Mia scratches her neck, leaving red marks on her pale, sensitive skin.

"Yeah." I nod.

Mia asks loads of questions when she feels anxious or stressed, even ones she knows the answers to. Who will be there? Are we only going there or will we go somewhere else after? Will you stay with me? Are they nice? Will we drink? How will we get back home? Will you stay with me? Are we going to dance? Are we going to eat? What will you have?Will you stay with me?

I personally try to understand how she feels and where it's coming from, so I don't mind her question bombing and always do my best to reassure her, but I can see how someone who's not understanding can get irritated with it. However Haruki was her friend so him not being nice about it is a dick move.

Liam knocks on the door to the walk-in wardrobe. "Come in." I say.

We're currently sitting on the floor surrounded by piles of clothes, trying to find the perfect outfit for tomorrow's event for me.

"Do you want anything to eat?" The man asks after walking in.
I look towards my friend and I can already see the panic in her big, blue eyes.

"Are you hungry?" I ask her.

"I-I," She stutters, probably not wanting to trouble Liam.

"I'll gladly make something for you two to eat. It's no problem." He reassures her, melting my heart. That's my boyfriend.

"If you say so." Mia blushes and the both of us probably fight the urge to squeel, kicking our feet like schoolgirls.

"What would you like?" He asks.

"Anything will be fine." I say, sparing her the pain of choosing.

Liam nods and leaves, closing the door. Mia turns to me, her jaw dropped and face red. I nod knowingly, my smile smug.

"Girl, where did you find him?" She whispers, causing us to giggle. "He's like, totally the book boyfriend type."

"I take your word for it."

🐾

After we eat the sandwiches Liam prepared for us, Mia informs me that out friendship was meant to be because I was born on Chocolate Chip Cookie Day and she was born on Chocolate Chip Cookie Week, we pick three outfits for me to choose from tomorrow, and we take some photos for Instagram, Liam offers to give her a ride home.

"I'm sorry for Haruki. I didn't take him for a creep." The woman apologises once again when we park in her driveway.

"Mia, that was not your fault." I turn around in my seat to look at her.

"Yeah but I was the one to introduce you to him." She pouts, regret in her voice.

"Stop it, don't you dare feel guilty about it." I warn her.

"I'll try. Thanks for the ride." Mia timidly glances at Liam.

"No worries." He replies.

"Have fun tomorrow! Text me when you get home!" She shouts when she exits the car.

"Bye!" I wave to her. "Don't you have a friend we could introduce her to?" I ask Liam when we back out of the driveway.

"I don't think so." He says after a moment.

"What about Andre or the one who calls you from time to time?" I suggest.

"Hunter?" Liam grimaces. "That's a bad idea." The man says, causing me to pout.

"We could go for double dates. It'd be so fun."

"I don't think he's a good fit for... anyone." He mutters, causing me to laugh.

"You're a bad friend and an even worse wingman."

"I'm not his friend." Liam says, placing his warm hand on my thigh. I sigh at his denial.

 I sigh at his denial