Chapter Eighteen: A Brief Dream and a Longer conversation

UMIKO dreamt that afternoon.

She was back in city K, on her father's boat, fishing alongside the short, stout man. "Now, 'Miko, keep your stance. The tuna out here are something fierce!" The man let out a hearty laugh.

"Dad?" The eleven year old Umiko asked. "Do you really like having me around? With mom and everyone else swimming?" Umiko asked.

Her father cackled a little. "Of course I do! Your siblings may belong to the sea like your mother, but you, my tiny, are a land lubber' like your old man. Don't be ashamed of it!" He said, bending over a little to click the middle buckle of her life vest that the girl had accidentally left unbuckled. "And who cares if you're scared of swimming? You don't have to dive down to the Mariana with your mother and siblings if you don't want too. You're eleven!" He laughed, ruffling her curly red hair, the same as her father's.

"Okay." Umiko smiled, giving him a toothy grin. Her fishing pole jerked forward a little. "I think I got something!" Umiko excitedly giggled.

Pulling with all her might, Umiko pulled up a small tuna, barely the size of her forearm.

As Umiko was praised for her catch, her father's voice fading in and out, replaced by a very familiar cyborgs'.

Umiko was now in Genos and Saitama's alartment, cuddled up to Genos as they spoke of nonsensical things. "So, if you think about it- snakes are noodles without arms!" She giggled. "I see." Genos chuckled, kissing her cheeks. "Genos!" She smiled, giggling as he kissed her so.

After a moment, he rested his chin on the top of her head. "You know you're dreaming, right?" He asked. "Yeah." She said softly. "But you're still holding me either way." Added Umiko. "And I'm happy either way too."

"I'm aware." Genos whispered softly.

Umiko loved dreams like these, where she would be loved by those she viewed as closest to her. "You're sweet, Genos." She smiled, looking up at him.

"And you love sweet things?" He asked. "I do!" She giggled.

Genos sighed, stroking her hair. "You're going to wake up soon."

"Oh, that sucks..." Umiko replied. "But I'm still gonna wake up in your arms, right?" Umiko asked.

"Yeah, Umiko. Of course you will." Genos sighed, moving his hand to stroke her cute little chubby cheek.

As Umiko's dreamed faded to black, her eyes fluttered open to the real world. Genos was still there, awake. As Umiko hummed a little as she woke up, leaning forward, he pulled her back to his chest.

"Good evening Umiko. It's seven o-clock." He said calmly. "You were asleep for a few hours. Would you like to know the exact time you were asleep for?" Genos asked Umiko. "Oh, no thank you Genos." Umiko smiled.

Rubbing her eyes as she woke up, she sighed in comfort. "Y'know, for a teen boy made of metal, you're awefully comfortable." Umiko said, looking up at him, curling her fingers around the hand he held around her midsection.

"I'm glad you find comfort with me." Genos replied. "But if you so wish, you can sleep on me as much as you please." He softly whispered, playing with a lock of her curly hair, twirling it with his metal index finger.

Umiko adored moments where she felt comfortable like this. She always felt... overwhelmed back home. Her four siblings loved her, but she was always cooped up in her house, and when she did leave, she was always overwhelmed with the absurd amount of questions when she returned home.

"Umiko?" Genos asked out, the faintest hint of a blush appearing on his perfect cheekbones.

"Yeah?" Umiko replied. "What's up?"