26| Hidden Truths 🥲

Tunde was deeply engrossed in his work at Spark Technologies when his phone buzzed. He noticed the call was from Ojo, the gatekeeper at Adaora's mansion. Normally, Ojo wouldn't call unless something was wrong, so Tunde quickly answered.

"Oga! Madam no come your side again oo!" Ojo's voice was casual, but Tunde immediately felt uneasy.

"Why? Hope everything is fine with Ada? She hasn't even called me. Are you sure everything is okay?" Tunde's concern grew with every word.

"Oga! No be big deal. Madam... I think her friend is sick, so she rushed him to the house. No worry, oga, your babe go dey alright," Ojo reassured him, trying to sound confident.

Tunde's heart skipped a beat at the mention of "him." He knew Ada had friends, but the thought of her rushing home with a male friend, especially without telling him, stirred something uncomfortable inside him. "Him? Who?" Tunde asked, but before Ojo could respond, Tunde ended the call abruptly. His mind was racing. Who was this guy, and why hadn't Ada mentioned anything?

Without a second thought, Tunde grabbed his keys and rushed out of his office, his mind in turmoil. He got into his car and sped off toward the Island, his thoughts filled with worry and anger.

Meanwhile, back at Adaora's mansion, the air was thick with tension. Chidi, caught up in the heat of the moment, leaned in again, trying to continue the kiss that Ada had abruptly stopped. His hands found their way back to her body, but this time, Ada was prepared. Her hand swung before she even realized what she was doing, landing a sharp slap across Chidi's face.

The sound of the slap echoed through the room, and both of them froze. Ada's face was a mix of confusion and anger, her emotions swirling uncontrollably. "I'm sorry..." she whispered, her voice trembling as she took a step back, her hand still shaking from the impact.

Chidi's cheek burned where she'd hit him, but it wasn't just the physical pain that stung—it was the realization of how far things had gone. He looked at her, his eyes dark with a mixture of anger and regret. "I'm really sorry too..." he muttered, the tension between them palpable.

Without another word, Chidi grabbed his suit jacket that had fallen to the floor, threw it over his shoulder, and walked out of the mansion. His footsteps were heavy, each one echoing with his frustration and disappointment. Ada watched him leave, her heart pounding as she tried to make sense of everything. The door slammed shut behind him, leaving her alone in the large, quiet house.

Tunde arrived at Adaora's mansion in record time, his mind still reeling from Ojo's call. He parked his car haphazardly in the driveway and rushed inside. He didn't even wait for the gate to fully close behind him. He had to see Ada, had to know what was going on.

"Ada!" Tunde called out as he entered the living room, his voice laced with urgency.

Adaora, still rattled from her encounter with Chidi, tried to compose herself. She heard Tunde's voice and quickly wiped away the last traces of her panic. She straightened the cushions on the couch and took a deep breath before facing him.

"Hey, you're home early," she said, forcing a smile as she walked towards him.

Tunde's eyes scanned the room, searching for any sign that someone else had been there. "Did you have a visitor?" he asked, his tone casual, but Ada could sense the suspicion lurking beneath it.

Ada hesitated for just a second, but it was enough for Tunde to notice. "No, not at all," she replied, trying to sound nonchalant. "Just me here, waiting for you."

Tunde's brow furrowed. Something didn't feel right. But he didn't push her. Instead, he played along, deciding to keep a close eye on her. "Alright, if you say so," he said, pulling her into a hug. He could feel her body tense slightly before she relaxed against him. He kissed her forehead, trying to quell the uneasy feeling in his gut.

Ada held him close, her mind racing. She had to make sure that there were no signs of Chidi's presence. She couldn't let Tunde find out. But the guilt was already eating away at her, and she wasn't sure how long she could keep up the charade.

As they settled into the evening, Tunde remained on edge, his instincts telling him that something was off. He needed to find out what was really going on, but for now, he'd bide his time.

The night dragged on with an air of unease that neither Tunde nor Ada could shake off. Tunde's mind kept replaying Ojo's words, "Madam... I think her friend is sick, so she rushed him to the house." Who was this friend? And why had Ada lied about having no visitors?

Ada, on the other hand, was caught between guilt and relief. Guilt for what had almost happened with Chidi, and relief that Tunde hadn't discovered anything—yet. As they sat in the living room, Tunde pretended to be engrossed in the TV, but his mind was elsewhere, trying to piece together the truth.

Finally, unable to take the tension anymore, Tunde broke the silence. "Ada, if there's something bothering you, you know you can talk to me, right?" he asked, his voice soft, but the underlying concern was evident.

Ada looked at him, her heart aching at the worry in his eyes. "I'm fine, Tunde, really," she replied, forcing another smile. But Tunde wasn't convinced. He knew her too well.

As the evening wore on, the distance between them grew, despite their physical closeness. Both were lost in their own thoughts, wondering what the other was hiding.

Outside the mansion, the night was still, but inside, the storm was brewing. Tunde's mind was racing as he struggled to trust Ada's words. And Ada, trying to act normal, was battling her own demons, knowing that the secret she was hiding could destroy everything they had built.

They were  lying in bed, back-to-back, each lost in their thoughts. Tunde knew something was wrong, and Ada was desperately hoping that the truth wouldn't come to light. But deep down, they both knew that it was only a matter of time before everything unravelled.