Chapter 21: Car Ride

Billie was hanging upside down off his piano stool, a flustered mess of fluffy hair.

If there was anything he hated most in the world, it would be writers block.

Tré burst in suddenly, yelling a "hey" which startled the lead singer, who then proceeded to fall off the piano stool.

Tré hid a giggle. "Oops."

Billie suppressed his anger (something Tré helped him get a lot of practice with) and put on his sweetest smile as he stood.

"Can I help you, Tré?"

Tré nodded. "Uh huh! I'm going on a drive to see if there's a field around here that we can set up a kind of festival thing next week." Billie had stopped listening. "It'll be in the countryside so I need to drive out of town and see if there's a field big enough."

Billie clicked back and all he heard was 'field', but he nodded. "Sure, I could use a drive to clear my head."

Tré put his jacket on. "Yeah, Mike said you had writers block."

Billie scowled. Mike had only came downstairs to give Billie some tea, how did he know?

After further thought; the fact that Billie was hanging off the piano stool upside down like some sort of punk rock bat probably gave it away.

He shoved his old Converse on and followed Tré to the car.

As they drove, Billie was in charge of music. Tré didn't mind, Billie always did a good job with music.

When they got into the countryside, Billie fell asleep. Tré took this moment to observe the singer at his calmest.

His head was resting on his shoulder at an awkward angle, his arms folded. He was breathing slowly, and Tré knew he was always a silent sleeper or the loudest snorer you'd ever heard.

He gently lifted Billie's head to the other side, to rest against the seatbelt instead so he wouldn't hurt his neck. He then turned the radio down, enjoying the silent drive, apart from the quiet sound of the music.

He turned into a dirt road next, driving past all the fields to check their size. He knew what he was looking for.

Billie suddenly woke with a start as The Replacements came on the radio. Tré smiled. "You'd never miss a Replacements song."

Billie nodded along to the beat of one of his favourite bands.

Tré pulled up and pointed at a field. "How about this one?"

Billie looked it over.

I mean, it wasn't much to look at right now, but something caught his eye.

The field slowly tilted up, so that if you stood at the top, you'd be able to look down on the Green Day show.

Billie got out of the car and pulled Tré out, dragging him to run up the hill with Billie as they both giggled like schoolgirls.

When they got to the top, Billie flopped down and pulled Tré down with him and together they lay on the hill, watching the clouds.

Billie smiled tiredly as he looked at the clouds. "That one looks like a heart," He said quietly, and there was a long pause.

For a moment, Billie wondered if this was a moment. Like a romantic moment. Was Tré going to kiss him?

"That one looks like a dick." Tré spoke up.

Billie dead panned.

Apparently not a moment, then.

And with that, he rolled down the hill, yanking Tré down with him.

They giggled as they tumbled down the hill, arms and legs flailing.

When they got to the bottom, they both sat up, still giggling as they brushed as much grass from their clothes as they could manage and made their way back to the car together.