Chapter 22: Adam

As Tré and Mike sat backstage on the leather couch, Billie paced. He always got nervous before a show. He perched next to Tré on the arm of the couch, fidgeting.

For a second he thought about sliding down onto Tré's lap to have Tré wrap his arms around Billie and calm his nerves but he knew that isn't how it would go.

A young looking man came backstage, wearing a plain black shirt and black jeans, clearly the work uniform for stagehands. He introduced himself as Adam and Billie felt uneasy as Adam watched him.

Adam was just a little shorter than Mike, and he had his light brown hair spiked up. He also had eyes which were a steel grey colour, and normally focused on Billie.

Billie figured he was maybe a fan of the band, therefore you would stare at the lead singer but it still made him uncomfortable.

"I'm here to get you anything, just give me a yell if there's something you need." Adam said.

"Hey, thanks." Mike smiled at him and he left, not before a glance at Billie though.

"He's friendly," Tré mused. "You should invite him for drinks after the show."

"Yeah, good idea." Mike replied, and Billie's stomach twisted up. Something about that guy was making the singer nervous.

He felt the same as when you're reading a novel and you just know a character is going to be a bad guy.

He stood up to distract himself and as Mike and Tré looked up at him, he realised he probably should have figured out a reason to be standing rather than just standing up for no reason. He eventually settled for a brisk walk to the table to grab a bottle of water.

"You planning on doing a few songs acoustic after the show?" Mike asked, looking up at Billie over his book. Billie shrugged as he uncapped his water and took a few sips. He didn't like this place, he didn't exactly want to spend any extra time here.

As the show came to an end, Billie played Good Riddance because he knew everyone would know it. He then ran off stage and handed his guitar in, joining everyone backstage for drinks. "Hey, Beej!" Billie heard Mike call, and he span around to locate Mike before walking over. "Can you go and get the food? It's just chips and stuff. It's in the other room."

Billie nodded and went to find the food, scooping as much as he could into his arms.

"Need some help?"

The voice startled Billie and he dropped everything he had managed to pick up. He turned to see Adam and swallowed hard. "I'm good, thanks." He said, before picking up the chips again. He could still feel Adam's eyes on the back of his head, which made it more difficult.

"You need help." Adam said, his voice cold. Billie heard him walk over and tensed as Adam reached around him, his body pressed uncomfortably tightly against Billie.

Billie flinched, grabbing some of the food and squirming out of Adam's grasp.

He rushed back to the room, bumping into Tré's chest on the way since he was looking down. He let out a startled yell, which also made Tré jump, still frightened from the situation with Adam.

He looked up to see Tré and sighed, relieved. Tré frowned. "Hey, you alright? You look a bit startled."

Billie opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by a cold voice... Adam, who came over. "He's fine."

Tré smiled at him, Billie's being forgotten. "Oh hey dude, how's it going?"

Billie sighed and brushed past Tré, making his way back to the room.

No one would believe him anyway.