Chapter 12: Nova

"Birthday wishes"

"Birthday wishes"

I keep hearing a constant buzzing sound. Then I hear Madz mumble a ' It's your phone sweetheart'. I roll over and grab my phone off the table and see it's my mother. She texted me ten times and left me a few messages.

"Do you need to answer that? Is it important?" Madz asks. I shake my head and try to think how to word this without sounding crazy. My mother will not leave this alone at all.

"No, I'm trying to ignore this person for now. It's actually my mother. We aren't very close and we haven't spoken in a while. She thinks my dad had a will and I got money from it. But with his medical bills he didn't have anything left to his name." I turn my phone off since it's still so early and face Madz.

"I'm sorry she woke us up so early. You can go back to sleep, it's only six am." Madz sits up and shakes his head.

"I usually get up early anyways. The auto shop opens at eight and I need to be there to open up. I'll get up and start the coffee if you want to get ready for the day." A shower sounds wonderful. I couldn't take one after what happened the other day so it's much needed.

"Are you saying I smell Madz?" I glance over my shoulder and see him smiling at me. He walks over and pulls me from the bed.

"Even if you did smell. Which you don't, I'd still give you this." He pulls me in and kisses me deep. I feel him softly grab the back of my head and I open my mouth and our tongues collide. Leaving me breathless as he pulls away.

"I'm going to go start that coffee you go enjoy yourself in the shower. Do you need anything else?" I shake my head no and he heads out of the bedroom.

My bathroom is pretty small but it works. I don't need much. It's just me. I walk over and open the small closet and grab a towel and a washrag. I turn the water on to the hottest temp I can handle and remove my clothes.

I step in and let the water fall over my body. It feels great to be here. I didn't realize I felt so gross. I grab my shampoo and wash my hair carefully.. While that sits I wash my face and rinse everything off. Then I do the same with the conditioner.

My head is still a little tender but the water is helping with some of the pain. I'll have to let Madz know that I'm still a little sore. I feel like if I just ignore it he would be upset with me. I grab the rag and wash off the rest of my body.

I turn the water off and step out of the shower with my towel. I dry off slowly and apply my lotion to my body and then start my facial care routine. I don't wear makeup much so I'm not too worried about anything else. A little mascara and that's it for me.

I step into my room and go to close my door so I can get dressed. I go to my suitcase and pick out a yellow sundress and some red flats. I will have to get the rest of my clothes from my car. I'll need to unpack the rest of that today.

I towel dry my hair the best I can and put it up. My hair is curly but not much. It's going to be a mess since I'm not putting anything in it but with my head still sore I'll just skip it for now. I walk towards the kitchen and I can smell toast and coffee.

"Do you feel any better? You look amazing Darlin' . I think yellow is my new favorite color." Madz walks towards me with a coffee mug and hands it over. Today's mug is one that is covered in plants and on the bottom it says 'sorry I've wet my plants'. My dad really had a fun time finding this one.

"Did you even notice what this mug said on the bottom or did you just pick it because it had pretty plants on it." I ask with a laugh. Madz just shrugs and grabs the mug. He lifts the mug up carefully to check the bottom and chuckles.

"Sorry, I've wet my plants. That's something I haven't heard before. Is this one your dad got for you?" Madz hands over the mug back to me and I take a sip. Perfect, he remembered how I took my coffee.

"Yeah, this one was from our local flower shop for my birthday once. He asked for a mug instead of a vase." I say as I set my mug on the counter.

"When is your birthday?" I look at Madz and give him a small small.

"It's actually today. I'm 20 now." Madz sets his coffee mug down and gives me a hard look.

"Nova, were you even going to tell me it was your birthday?" Madz asks, sounding hurt. Now I feel like shit for not telling him. But there was so much more important stuff going on.

"I didn't feel like it was the right time. There was already so much going on with the attack and you getting hurt. I didn't think it was that important." Madz walks over to me and grabs my hips. Pulling me closer to him.

"You are worth celebrating Nova. I will every single day but especially today sweetheart. What would you and your dad do for your birthday? Did you do anything special?" At that my heart warms and I melt into a puddle. Not only is he wanting to do something for my special day but he wants to know if dad and I did anything together.

"We would get up early and bake a cake together. While it cools we would clean up our mess and pack a picnic. Then we would ice the cake and pack it with everything else. He would take me to our local state park and just enjoy being together." I smile at the memories that we made together and then realize I'll never have that again with him. Madz can feel the change in the room and hugs me.

"Well let's get started, we have a cake to bake. So what kind of cake are we making? Do I need to go pick anything up?" Madz is so sweet. I love him. Wait, I don't love him. I've only just met him. I'm crazy. I shake my head and walk off.

"I've still got stuff leftover from when I made bread so I can make simple vanilla cake. I've also got some stuff in my car I can use. Like our picnic basket and some cake decorating supplies." Madz starts to head towards the back and grabs my keys.

"I'll start bringing boxes in and you let me know where to put everything." He walks out and then starts to carry in the few boxes I have in my tiny Subaru crosstrek. Most of the boxes will go up in the apartment but three of them I have labeled for the kitchen.

Madz brings the last box in and I lock up behind him. We start unloading and I find my baking supplies and he finds the picnic basket. He pulls it out and opens it up.

"Wow this is fancy. I can't say I've ever been on a picnic before. I'm glad my first time will be with you though. I'm shit at baking darlin' but I can handle the sandwiches like we had yesterday. Anything you don't like?" He sets down the basket and starts getting the sandwich supplies ready.

"Remember I'm not picky. I eat pretty much everything." I start to put everything I need for the cake in my mixer and let it do its thing. While I'm waiting on that I start the icing.

"I can proudly say these sandwiches will be the best you've ever had. I know this local baker who made this bread fresh just for me." Madz says with a little wink as he's working on the food and putting it in the fridge for now.

"Oh really now. A baker? Are they better than me." Madz walks over and snuggles in close with a chuckle.

"No one is better than you Nova. You top the charts for everything and always will darlin' . I finished up with the food. Now what do I need to do?" I look around and see that we just need to bake the cake. The icing is done and ready to go.

"Can you please put the icing in the fridge for me and I'll bake the cake now that the batter is ready. I'm sure we can find something to do while we wait for the cake. Mad does as I ask and comes walking back with a mischievous smile. He pulls me into his chest and I glance up at him.

"I'm sure we can come up with a few things. Let's take the rest of these boxes up to the apartment first and then we can have some fun." Madz guides me towards the boxes and he grabs all of them at once and nudges me to walk in front of him. I feel like this will be a perfect birthday.