Chapter 13: Madz

"Wild animals"

"Wild animals"

Having a picnic wasn't in my plans for the day but I’d do anything to keep this smile on Nova's face. While Nova was getting ready I texted the prospects to get something ready at the park for me. It was last minute but it will have to do.

After we iced the cake and packed up the rest of our lunch I asked Nova if it was okay we went to our local park. Since the state park is so far away from Galax and we didn't plan anything out. She was completely okay with it and didn't seem to mind at all. I’ll make it up to her one day and take her anywhere she wants to go.

The park isn't far from the shop, but the basket is pretty full and I’d rather the cake not be destroyed before we even get to the park. While she was dealing with the cake. I had packed us turkey sandwiches, the rest of the potato chips we had left and I chopped up some fruit.

“We’re almost there, Nova. It's just right around the corner. When we get there don't get out of the car until I come to your door, okay?” No way am I letting her list a finger today. Today is about Nova. What am I talking about, everyday will be about her.

We pull into the parking lot and I notice it isn't too busy. It's a Tuesday and during school hours so I don't have to worry about kids. I start thinking to myself. Does Nova want a family? She's so young and is just opening a business.

“Do you want a family one day Nova?” I ask as we pull into a parking spot. I put the vehicle in park and look over at her. She fiddles with the hem of her shirt and looks at me.

“I never really thought about it. I didn't have the best relationship with my own mother so I don't know if I'd be any good at it. My dad was always there for me but I just have this empty spot in my heart.” She says with so much feeling. I know what she's talking about. With my father not being in the photo.

“Darin’ , I believe you’d be the best mother. You would always put your family first. Look at how you’ve taken care of me. It was that simple for you to step in and nurture me.” In some ways Nova reminds me of my mother. She is so caring and soft spoken.

“I guess. Thinking about it now I think I’d say yes. Maybe two or three kids. I’ve never been in a serious relationship before either so I never brought it up with anyone.” She hasn't dated anyone before? If that doesn't get my heart going. She will know by the end of the night that she's mine. Mine to love, mine to care for.

“Two or three? I can handle that.” I say with a wink and Nova instantly blushes. “You stay right there. I'm going to come around and open your door. Don't move.” I opened my door and jump out. I can see from here where the prospects set up.