Chapter 25: Nova

Today has been so amazing

Today has been so amazing. I've been busy since we opened the door. So far none of the guys have stopped by. Which is fine. Axel has been a huge help.

He's taken care of most of the customers on the register. I've been bagging the items and talking to everyone. Trying to keep up with everyone was difficult but I think I've found my rhythm.

The cupcakes have been a hit. Axel has some saved in back for Madz just in case we sell out. He's texted me a few times but I've not had time to reply.

I definitely need to put a help wanted sign in the window. We need a third person to help out. Bagging the items, cleaning up and taking care of everyone with two people is tough.

It seems to have slowed down. It's 11:15 so a lunch rush will probably come soon. With everyone satisfied I take the time to breathe. Axel wipes the counter down for me.

"Looks like today will be one for the books." Axel smiles. Glancing around everyone seems so happy.

"I think you're right, Axe." I give him a high five when the bell on the door jingles. I see three men in vests walk in. All matching the one Madz has. The names read Ryder, Gears and Tiny.

I remember pieces of meeting Tiny. The other two not so much. They walk towards the counter and wave hello to me.

"Hey guys. What can we do for you? We've got plenty of items left and I just started another pot of coffee. So that should be ready soon." Tiny walks to the front.

"Hey little lady. I'll take a bear claw and a plain coffee." Axel rings him up when the other two come to place their order.

"I'm Gears, this is Ryder. We will take one cupcake, a muffin, two black coffees and a loaf of bread. My mother has been so excited for me to bring her home some." I go to bag their items when Ryder walks over to the display case.

"Everything looks amazing. All of us are so happy for you. Madz hasn't stopped talking about you and opening day." I blush and hand over the items.

"Well thank you. I'm glad you guys were able to stop by. Let me grab your drinks. Are all of them just plain correct?" I get a nod from all the men and I start to fix up the cups.

"Has the prospect given you any problems? If he has you can let us know." Tiny asks in an annoyed tone.

"No, Axe has been perfect. We haven't run into one issue. We work well together. I think I'll have to hire him full time." Axel looks over at me with wide eyes.

"You really mean that Nov's?" Of course I do. He's done everything I asked of him without complaint. He has kept me together when I just wanted to crumble today.

"Well duh. Today couldn't have happened without you silly." With that Axel comes over and gives me a hug.

"Hands off prospect." Ryder grits out.

"Oh it's fine Madz knows we hug. He's okay with it. I promise." He seems to be okay with my answer because he doesn't say anything else. "Do you all need anything else?"

"Nope." All three replied. With that they wave and head out the door. After they leave it picks back up at lunch time. I head to the back to get more items when a hand grabs me.

I let out a squeak and try to pull away. "Shh Nova. It's just me." I start to settle when I realize it's Madz voice I hear. I can smell his cologne. I smack his chest.

"You can't go doing that Madz you scared the crap out of me. How did you even get in here?" I see that the back door is locked and I knew I kept it locked.

"I made myself a copy of the key remember." Oh that's right. He has one to the front that I gave him but I forgot he had one for the back made for him and Axel.

"Oh yeah now I remember. Are you here on break?" Madz snuggles into me and kisses my forehead. I love when he does this. It makes me melt into a puddle.

"I'm off for the rest of the day. I finished up what I needed to do early so I could come hang out with you." My heart melts even more. "Do you need any help?"

"I could use some help up front. Everyone wants to chat and I can't bag items and entertain people at the same time. I don't want to be rude or push them off." We both walk up front and Axel gives a wave.

"Has Axel been helpful today?" Without Axel I wouldn't have gotten any of this done.

"He's been the glue today. I'm thinking of hiring him full time. I haven't really brought it up to him yet." I know he probably won't mind but I still can't expect him to work here.

We get up front and I see a group of people outside walking towards the door. Oh boy here comes the lunch rush. "Are you ready for this Madz?"

"Always." With that we fall into line. Madz put on some gloves and he's bagging the items for me. I talk to everyone as they welcome me into town and thank me for my shop.

"Hello dear." A little old lady says to me.

"Hi, how are you today?" She waves her bag in the air and laughs.

"Perfect now. I've been dying to get my hands on something since JoAnn told me you finally opened. She came in this morning with her grandson." Oh yeah, I remember her. She was sweet. Her grandson was so soft spoken and lovely.

"Ah yes. I think I remember those two. They came in and got some muffins and some bread. Her grandson was so sweet. I snuck him a cookie in the bag for later." That puts a smile on her face.

"Another person to spoil Fern. He will end up as your new best friend." I laugh at that.

"Can I get you anything else? We have water or coffee." I motion towards the fridge.

"Nope, I'm set for today. I'll see you around Nova." We wave and out the door she goes.

Madz seems to be panicking so I head towards him to see what's wrong. "You okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine, people just keep asking me questions and I'm not sure how to answer them. One person asked if you offered anything gluten free." I don't offer any of those items yet. I wanted to see if anyone needed items like this.

"I don't yet but now that someone asked I'll have to offer something. I don't want to leave anyone out." Making a mental note to offer gluten free items I get back to work.

We all seem to flow throughout the day. I give Axel a break even though he says he doesn't need to take one. After some convincing he heads to the back.

I take over the register and notice the tip jar is full. My heart just warms to everyone being so caring. "Madz come here please."

"Look." I show him the jar and he gives me a gentle look.

"I told you today would be good. I knew you could do it. We all did. I'm so proud of you." I set the jar behind the counter and walk towards him.

Giving him the biggest hug I can with how large he is. "Thank you for believing in me."

"You never have to thank me for that honey. I'll always be here to cheer you on." He kisses the top of my head and I look around us.

The tables are full and the display case is almost empty. I'm filled with something warm and fuzzy. "Happiness looks good on you baby." Madz tosses an arm over my shoulder and takes it all in with me.

"Look what you brought to the community. A place where they can relax and enjoy the best treats I've ever had." He winks and the door opens again. Back to work we go.