Chapter 21: Madz

"The Zipper"

"The Zipper"

Grabbing my girl's hand we head out of the tent. My mother was watching us with cloudy eyes. She's never seen me with anyone, so I know she's excited for me.

"So what are we doing first baby?" I ask, looking into Nova's eyes. I'm so happy that she won today. She was stressing so hard over all of this.

"I'm not sure." She takes her finger and places it on her chin. "Do you like rides? Or are you way too scared?" She smirks at me knowing I'll take the bait.

"Oh I'm so in. I know where to start." The first place we head to is the zipper. It's the biggest ones we have at the fair and the scariest if you ask me. "Are you ready?"

"So ready!" We head towards the line and wait. Standing behind her I take her scent in. Calming me. I shouldn't have picked this to ride first, what was I thinking?

"So how was winning today? I told you you could do it. I've tasted what you've made before. So has Axel. We all called it." She looks down at her boots and kicks a rock.

"I was worried it wouldn't be enough. The town also seems so close to everyone that's been here for years so I didn't know if I'd even fit in." What she doesn't know is that the town is so small but so caring. Everyone looks out for each other and they will take her right into the fold.

The line moved and we're next to go in the wheel of death. I look at it and listen to the laughing and screams coming from the others from the ride.

"The town is fair. They wouldn't have skipped over you just knowing you were new in town. We take care of what's ours even if you just walked in." Kissing her temple it's our turn to get on the ride.

The teen who's in charge unlocks the gate, leads us over to the seats and opens it for us. I help Nova in and watch him strap her in. "Make sure she's in tight." I glare over at him.

He then steps over to me, fingers trembling. I didn't mean to scare the poor kid but I don't want even a little accident to hurt Nova. She means too much.

After locking everyone in their seats. The teenager walks to the control board and starts the ride. Nova glances over and grabs my hand. She looks over at me, eyes sparkling with mischief. "You okay Mads?"

"I'm perfect." I really truly am. With that the ride flings us in the air. With all that's holy I hold in my scream. I can't let Nova know how scared I really am. She was excited for all the rides.

I look over at her and I can see the wide smile on her face, the giggles and all the stress from the past week lifted off her shoulders. With that all my fear drops from my body.

Here in this moment with Nova is everything I could have asked for. She's perfect in every way. The ride is only about two minutes long but it feels like forever with Nova's hand in mine.