Chapter 24: Nova

"Breakfast in bed"

"Breakfast in bed"

With my alarm going off I jump out of bed. No sign of Madz so he must have got up before me. I can hear sounds coming from the kitchen.

Today, my bakery is finally opening. I wonder how it will go. Madz told me the other night Axel offered to help me run the shop and I'm so thankful for him.

Pulling my phone off the charger I look to see if I have any missed calls or text from my mother. Nothing. I hope she just drops everything and leaves me be.

I'd love to have a relationship with her but she has to be stable first. This harassing me daily has to end. I hear a crashing sound from the kitchen and a mumbled 'Damnit'.

If I wasn't already awake I would be now. Laughing I get up and head to the kitchen. I see Madz running around making breakfast.

It's a disaster but he really is trying his hardest to make today special for me. "Need any help?" Madz turned quickly.

"Shit, I'm sorry I woke you up. I was going to bring you breakfast in bed. I'll clean this all up so you don't have anything to worry about. Go take a shower and I'll bring you this when it's done." Madz goes back to making the food.

I slip in behind him and give him a hug. "Thank you honey." I kiss his back since I can't reach the top of his head and walk off towards the bathroom.

After showering I go and pick out my outfit for the day. A simple pair of jeans and a white tee will do. I'll likely have an apron on all day so there is no point in a special shirt.

I hear a knock on the door and Madz enters with a tray of food. Looks like he's made a bagel, eggs and some turkey bacon. It smells delicious. "This all looks so good."

"Shhh, back to bed you go. You need to relax as much as you can before you go down stairs." I climb back into the big bed he bought me and settle in.

"I made you a little bit of everything. You don't have to eat it all, what you don't finish I will." He sets the tray onto my lap and I dig in.

"Thank you for making this. Did you make a plate?" He nods his head and that's all I get from him.

I finish up what I can and pass the rest off to Madz. "This is all I can manage Madz. I'm stuffed but I don't want to be sick on my first day."

I hear a message come onto my phone and Mad as well. I pull it out of my pocket and see it's a group message from Axel. It has Madz in it as well.

'See you soon Nova. I'm heading your way.' I stand back up and grab some socks. Madz comes over with my favorite Nikes and I slip them on.

He grabs my hand and drags me to the living room. "You sit and I'll clean this up. Brainstorm some baking ideas or something." I try to get up and help but Madz pushes me back down.

"Sit." With that I sit back down and watch him clean. This feels nice. Ever since my father passed it's just been me. I cooked, cleaned and ate alone.

It felt like my new normal but now I have this again. This feeling of a real home. Madz and I together feel like home. He finishes up in the kitchen and comes to me.

"I'm so proud of you Nova. Look how far you came and you did all of this. I bet your dad is watching over you with a smile on his face." I feel a tear drop from my eye and I swipe it away.

"I bet you're right. I know you are. He knew this is what we both wanted one day and it's coming true." Madz sits next to me and combs through my hair.

I love when he's next to me but when he does this, time stops. We sit together in silence and wait for a message from Axel. After ten minutes I hear the doorbell ring.

Hand in hand we walk down to the shop and Madz lets him in. "I can stick around for a few but then I have to head to the shop. We've got three tow in's from yesterday that I promised I'd work on."

"I understand. Thanks for this morning. It was perfect. I need to start baking. Axel can you go wash up and I can show you what I need you to do for me?" We both wash up at the sink and head to the pantry.

"What do you need me to handle Nova?" Madz ask's. I think about it.

"The front could use a wipe down just in case any dust settled overnight." I hand Axel the items I need for the cupcakes and bear claws and we get to work.

With all of us working together, things are done faster than it would have been on my own. I've got the cupcakes going in one oven and the bear claws going in the other.

I set two different timers for them and we work on the muffins. Madz settles in behind me and Axel leaves the room. He nips at my ear and whispers.

"I've got to head out but I'll hop in later today. I'm sure some of the guys will stop by as well. I'm surprised they aren't at the door already." He turns me around and kisses me deeply.

"I'll see you later Madz." With that he pulls away and heads out back. I hear his bike rumble and listen to him drive away.

"Axel, it's safe to come back now." He comes barreling into the kitchen ready for more work. "Thanks for being here today. I'll need all the help I can get."

"No problems Nov's. Let's get to work on those muffins." We work on three different types of muffins. Banana nut, chocolate chip and blueberry.

After all the ingredients are mixed together I let Axel take over and pour the batter into the pans. He listens so well and is a hard worker. I need to find a way to sneak him money.

I know he won't take it from my head. Maybe I can get Madz to get it for him. He's gotta listen to him, right?

Time flies by when all the timers go off and we take everything out to cool. Everything is ready to go and together we place them on the center racks up front.

I move around the counter and take everything in. Everything has fallen into place. It looked so nice and everything tasted so good when we tried it this morning.

"Come on Nova, it's photo time." Axel pushed me behind the counter and moved out front. "One, two and three. Say muffins!"

"Muffins!" I smile so much my cheeks hurt. Axel turns his camera around and we take another photo but this time it's one with the both of us. He sends it off and I hear a ding.

He must have sent it to the group message. I look at the message and smile. I see that Madz is typing away. Seeing the dots scatter on the screen.

'Nice work guys, make sure to save something for me.' I liked his reply and placed my phone back into my back pocket. Ready for the day I check the clock.

"Are you ready for this Axel?" I look at the clock and see that we have five minutes before its time to open. I can see a handful of people waiting at the door.

"Ready, how about you?" I give him a thumbs up and he nods to the door. "Should I open the door and let in your customers?"

"Let's get this party started, Axe." With that he unlocks and opens the door. We welcome them and get started. This moment feels unreal.

I step behind the counter and give everyone my biggest smile. With my dad looking over me, Axel at my side and Madz as my biggest supporter I can do this."