Chapter 26: Madz

Seeing Nova so happy does something to me

Seeing Nova so happy does something to me. It's a feeling I don't think I've ever felt before. I can't really explain it either. Shaking my head I head towards the back to get Axel.

I don't see him in the office or the pantry so I check outside. I open the back door and see him asleep in a chair on the patio. I kick his shoe and instantly he wakes up.

"Time to come back in. I don't want Nova overwhelmed." Axel jumps up and heads for the door when I stop him. "Axel wait." He turns slowly and has a worried look on his face.

"I just wanted to thank you for all you do for Nova. I know she appreciates it and so do I. I see a cut in your future." He stands frozen not knowing what to say.

"Well go inside and get back to work. Keep doing what you're doing okay." He nods and runs for the door. I'm really starting to like that kid and I can only hope the rest of the club does as well.

My phone rings and I see that it's my mother calling. I answer on the first ring. "Hello?"

"Hi Madz. How's Nova and Axel doing? My friends stopped by to tell me all about the shop." I can hear Eleanor in the background telling me hi.

"Tell Eleanor I said hi back. Things seem to be going well. She's had a busy day but with the both of them they seemed to have figured out a way to handle everyone." Eleanor seems to be chatting to my mom but I can't hear her.

"Eleanor wants you to bring her some cookies and a muffin if there is any left." I laugh knowing she is probably jumping all around mom right now.

"I'll set aside something for her." Silence filled the line. "Hello? Mom?" I hear a sniff and I wonder what upset her. "Mom, are you okay?"

"Everything is okay. I'm just so happy for you. To have found Nova. She is such a sweet girl and Eleanor seems hooked on her as well. She must have some magic spell going on." I chuckle.

"No, that's just how Nova works. She's perfect. I feel so good around her. She really makes me happy." I hear more sniffing over the line. "Mom, you gotta stop the tears."

"Sweetheart I can't. I'm so happy you've found your one. Your forever. It was different with your sister. We all knew she wasn't ready but you are." I place my hand on my chest and rub.

"Yeah, she's my forever mom. I'm glad you can see that. I'm even happier that everyone else seems to like her as well." With that I hear my mom sniff a few more times.

"Okay enough worrying about me. You go back and help Nova now. I love you Madz. I'll see you later tonight." I tell her I love her back and we hang up.

I'm about to go unlock the door when I hear a scuffle by the trash can. Then I hear a cry. Walking over I see a kitten stuck in a box in the trash can. Poor little guy.

"Come here buddy." I pull the box out carefully and remove the kitten. It lets out a little hiss. It's so damn cute. I can't just leave him outside.

I pull out my phone and call Beau, one of the prospects. "Hey prez what's up?"