Chapter 26

Ramiel was troubled, he laid on the bed in his hotel room bothered. Today, while at the bar, Hans had claimed to have seen Camilla, Ramiel didn't want to believe him but Hans was the last person to tell him lies, he wouldn't joke about such a thing.

Could he have actually seen Camilla like he claimed?

Ramiel wondered what she was doing in this small town, was this where she left him for? Remembering Camilla, broke his already healed heart all over again. He remembered how she left him without considering his feelings, now that he was slowly moving on and getting his life back, she had to resurface.

Ramiel tried to convince himself that she had a good reason for leaving him, he didn't want to believe that she left him because of any negativity. He wondered what she was doing here? How was she? Was she dealing with a heartbreak just like he was? Or did she move on with some other guy?

Suddenly a thought popped into Ramiel's head, what if she left him for her ex boyfriend? She was seriously injured the day she eloped could it be her ex boyfriend had inflicted those injuries probably through assault? Ramiel didn't want to believe that Camilla left him for her ex boyfriend.

Ramiel rolled over on his bed, he was far from being sleepy, this information had messed up his sleep schedule. Honestly he had really missed Camilla and everyday, he would wish that she would return to him and now his prayers was finally answered but still he badly wanted to know why she left, he was sure she didn't leave because of him because he was treating her right he was sure, he was not mean to her and he definitely didn't cheat on her, so he was certain she didn't leave because of him, she had her personal reasons.

But then, she left him shattered, heartbroken, she left him devastated, for days, he sighed. Ramiel was happy though that Camilla lived in this town which means he would actually find her because it was a small town but then, did she want to be found? He weighed his options.

Camilla was the one who left him reasons best known to her and if she wanted to get back with him, she would have returned, he knew she was here to lay low and the last thing he wanted to do was cause a nuisance to her, he didn't want to disturb or pester her, he tried to convince himself that she would come back to him soon. With this thought, he slept off.

The next morning, Ramiel woke up, got dressed and went to meet Ramiel downstairs at the hotel reception.

"You barely slept" Hans stated "your eyes are not bright because you lack sleep" he added.

"Let's just get on to work" Ramiel said seriously. He was not in the mood for jokes or talks.

Hans nodded "fine" he said.

Together they walked to Ramiel's car and drove to the location Hans had jotted down as John Yates house address. They got to a shabby looking house. The house was burnt down, it seemed like years, it was only a few bricks that still remained as a foundation. Few metres next to the house was an old house but still intact.

"Are you sure this is the place?" Ramiel asked looking at the house strangely, he felt creeps.

"My findings don't lie" Hans said.

They alighted and walked to the front of the burnt down house.

"How do you expect us to get clues from a place like this?" Ramiel asked.

Hans just stared at the house.

"Everything is completely burnt down, there is no hope" Ramiel spoke.

"Don't be discouraged so soon Ramiel. I am sure we will find something" Hans said.

"How do you intend we find something here, everything is destroyed" Ramiel said.

"We could ask questions from that house...." Hans pointed to the old house few metres away ".....I'm sure they would have something to tell us that might interest us" he said.

"Might? You are not even sure" Ramiel spoke.

"That is why I used that word, let's go" Hans said and walked towards the house, Ramiel followed behind.

"What if there are no occupants?" Ramiel asked.

"You have just been commenting negativity since we started this journey, can you be positive for once?" Hans asked as he knocked slightly on the door.

There was no reply. He knocked again still nothing.

"You see..." Ramiel was saying when someone asked.

"Who please?" A feminine voice asked from inside the house.

"I am Hans and I am here with my friend Ramiel, we have a few questions for you please, we won't take much of your time" Hans spoke.

There was silence for a while before the door clicked and opened revealing an aged woman, she looked perplexed.

"What questions do you have?" The woman asked.

Ramiel noticed she didn't invite them in, she didn't welcomed their presence obviously.

"It's concerning the burnt house next to yours and the occupant, John Yates" Hans spoke.

She stared at them for a while, she was weighing whether to give them information or not, she gazed at their outfit, they looked presentable, probably they were journalists or inspectors, she was uncertain about giving them answers, she didn't want to implicate herself beside she didn't know much about the incident from 20 years ago.

Hans who noticed she was hesitant spoke "ma'am we are not related with the media, whatever information you give out is safe. You don't have to worry yourself" he convinced.

"We won't say a word about the informant, we just want to get a lead on a case we are working on. It involves the mysterious killings of noble men, all investigations leads to a murdered man named John Yates and he lived in that burnt house few metres away from yours" Ramiel added.

The woman sighed, though she was not trusting, she had to give them the information they needed, maybe they could help her too, keeping the information to herself will definitely yield no good and it seemed like she could trust this men, they didn't look like they had other motives "come in" she said.