Untitled Part 128

Tej and Devansh rode along a narrow, dusty lane, barely wide enough for their horses to move side by side. On either side, small huts with thatched roofs stood like silent sentinels, their weathered walls dappled with sunlight streaming through the thick canopy of trees surrounding the area. The air was warm, the sound of rustling leaves and birds in the distance accompanying the steady clop of hooves on the dirt path.

As they rode further, the lane gradually widened, opening up into a broader path that led straight to an imposing palace. The palace gleamed in the sunlight, its massive doors appearing as if made of solid gold, and the entire structure shimmered with an eerie, untouchable grandeur. Despite its magnificent appearance, the palace seemed deserted. No sign of life stirred, save for the occasional flutter of bats from the high corners, and cobwebs clung like forgotten memories to the ornate walls.

Tej and Devansh swung off their horses in sync, not a word passing between them. Their gazes locked onto the gleaming door ahead, feet moving in unison across the stone path. At the threshold, Devansh lifted his hand, snapping his fingers with a sharp, practiced motion. The air seemed to shift. Tej stiffened as the door groaned, a deep creak echoing through the silence. Without a single touch, the massive golden doors began to part, their slow movement revealing the yawning darkness within the palace.

"King Himaqat must have the Shaktigrantha, the twin of the black book," said Devansh as he set foot in the palace. He made his way past several doors and passages. 

"How do you know where it is kept?" asked Tej, following closely behind.

"I don't," replied Devansh as he stood in front a small fireplace, its stones blackened with age but no flame within, only a pile of cold, untouched wood.

Devansh turned to Tej, his voice low but commanding. "We need to see what lies ahead. Use your power to light the fire."

Tej glanced at the hearth, the wood stacked neatly but lifeless. His brow furrowed as he stepped closer. He raised his hand, palm facing the fireplace, and concentrated. A faint warmth surged through his fingers, and within moments, flames leapt to life on the dry logs. The fire danced, casting flickering shadows across the stone walls.

A faint rumble vibrated through the air. Tej's eyes darted to the shimmering wall opposite them, now trembling, as if alive. The golden surface quivered and, with a low grinding sound, began to slide aside, revealing a hidden trapdoor embedded in the floor, its dark outline stark against the gleam.

Without a pause, Devansh surged forward, dropping to one knee beside the trapdoor. His fingers found the edge, and with a swift pull, it creaked open, the sharp sound slicing through the silence. He stilled for a moment, eyes closing briefly as if steeling himself for what lay ahead. Tej stood motionless, heart pounding, the air between them thick with unspoken tension.

Then, out of the darkness within the trapdoor, steps began to form, emerging from nothing, solidifying one by one. Tej's breath hitched—he'd seen this before. His mind flashed back to the temple of his past, the steps there had materialized the same way, leading him into shadows, into the unknown.

Devansh moved first, descending quickly, his feet barely touching the stones as he hurried deeper. Tej followed, each step echoing louder than the last, the descent pulling them into the thick, damp air below. The murk of the chamber swallowed them whole, the light from above barely brushing the edges of the cold, ancient stone walls. The smell of age, of forgotten secrets, clung to everything.

In the gloom, Devansh's eyes caught on a smaller door. He opened it, revealing another layer of mystery.

~~~~~~

Rutuja's hands moved carefully as she applied the cool herbal paste onto Rishi's forehead, her fingers steady but her heart racing. The smell of crushed leaves and medicinal herbs filled the room, mixing with the sterile scent of the hospital. Beside her, Maya was doing the same for Advika, gently smoothing the paste over her pale skin. Both Rishi and Advika lay motionless on their respective hospital beds, their bodies connected to machines that beeped rhythmically, a steady reminder that, despite their unconscious state, they were still alive.

The room was quiet, the only sounds coming from the steady hum of the machines and the occasional rustle of fabric. Zarna entered, her expression tense, but her movements calm as she sat down in the chair beside the bed. She took a deep breath before speaking, her voice barely above a whisper. "I spoke to all our parents, Maya," she said. "I used Advika's voice changer app and told them we are safe. They don't suspect a thing."

Maya glanced up from Advika's bedside, her face lined with exhaustion but relief flickering in her eyes. "Good," she replied softly, her gaze lingering on Advika, who remained unconscious, her chest rising and falling in shallow breaths.

Maya's eyes flew open, a flash of realization lighting her face. Without a word, she spun on her heel, breaking into a swift run toward a bag tossed in the far corner of the room. Her footsteps echoed sharply. Dropping to her knees, she plunged her hands into the bag, fingers scrambling frantically through its contents, searching for something unseen but clearly vital.

Rutuja, watching from across the room, exchanged a glance with Zarna, her brow furrowing in confusion. Zarna voiced what they were both thinking. "What is it, Maya?" she asked, her voice uncertain as she looked between Maya and Rutuja, who shrugged slightly, just as puzzled.

"There is this book," she said, removing a small golden cover book. "It helps us to speak to souls."

"Maya," Rutuja began. "She is not dead."

"But her soul is someplace it shouldn't be," Maya argued. 

"I don't think another stunt with books would be a good idea," said Zarna and sat beside Advika. "I agree," said Rutuja. "We all are drained of our energies," she continued, "it's best we don't do anything we're uncertain about."

Maya nodded her head in a no. "I can't just sit here and do nothing," she said and stormed outside with the book clutched in her hands.

Rutuja glanced at Zarna. 

"She'll be fine," Zarna assured Rutuja and shifted her attention to Advika. 

~~~~~~

Tej coughed as he followed Devansh into the yet another opening. The room was adorned with intricate tapestries, and a massive, ornate fire pit dominated the center.

"King Himaqat," he said.

"Yes," said Devansh. "This is the place where the black book first appeared, and so did the Shaktigrantha."

"Do you want us to perform the ritual here?" Tej questioned as he took a few steps towards the fire pit.

"Yes," answered Devansh and swiveled to face Tej. "But to summon Shaktigrantha not the black book."