Untitled Part 131

Zarna stood motionless at the heart of the grand hall, her gaze drifting across the open, sunlit space. To her left, an elegant spiral staircase curled upwards like a ribbon, each step polished to a soft gleam. At the top, she could catch glimpses of doors that led into an array of bedrooms, their shadows stretching like silent invitations to rest. On the right, her eyes landed on the dining area. A massive table, set to seat eleven, dominated the space. Its wooden surface gleamed under the filtered sunlight streaming through the large windows, the chairs around it beckoning with a strange, cozy warmth.

Just beyond the dining area, a sleek modular kitchen nestled into the corner, with matte-black cabinets and marble countertops. A faint hum from the refrigerator buzzed in the background, the kind of subtle noise that immediately makes a place feel lived in.

From outside, the crunch of gravel and a distant conversation floated into the hall. Rutuja was helping Maya reverse the car into place in the driveway. "Turn it a little more left—yeah, that's perfect!" Rutuja called out, her voice rising over the chirping birds.

The front door creaked open, and Rishi appeared, carrying Advika, cradled in his arms. Her face was soft with sleep, head resting against his shoulder. A few strands of her dark hair fluttered as the breeze followed them inside.

The sun outside blazed bright, filling the hall with golden light. The air smelled of jasmine and freshly cut grass. Through the open windows, the garden outside danced in the wind, the blades of grass swaying as if alive. Several potted plants were scattered across the garden, their leaves quivering gently. Maya noticed a few familiar ones—the aloe vera, lavender, and the vibrant marigolds from books she and Advika had read together.

"Let's settle in first. There's more than enough room for everyone here." Rutuja said as Rishi took Advika upstairs in one of the rooms. Maya followed closely behind.

Zarna exhaled slowly, taking it all in. The space felt impossibly large, yet strangely welcoming. 

"I've got all your luggage," she said, pulling three travel bags. "I'll keep them in the room where Advika is for now. Feel free to use any of the rooms."

"Thank you," Zarna said. Rutuja nodded. 

~~~~~~

The air in the hall shimmered as Tej and Devansh materialized, the faint hum of displaced energy dissipating with a soft crackle, like static clinging to the edge of reality. The two men stood perfectly still for a heartbeat, as if anchoring themselves after the shift. Then Tej exhaled, his posture loosening just slightly, while Devansh's sharp gaze swept the room, already searching.

On the sofa, Rutuja and Zarna glanced up in unison, their expressions unreadable at first — guarded, as though they'd been in the middle of a conversation they didn't want interrupted. Maya, curled into one corner of the sofa, pulled her blanket tighter around her legs, while Rutuja straightened, resting her arms loosely on her knees, her eyes flickering between the two new arrivals.

The scent of freshly brewed coffee mingled in the air with the faint remnants of rain, a damp chill lingering from the world outside. The clock on the wall ticked steadily, its sound muted but present, underscoring the strange quiet that stretched between them all for a brief moment.

Then Zarna moved.

She placed her coffee mug down too hard on the wooden side table — the sharp clink slicing through the stillness — and pushed off the sofa, her legs carrying her forward before she'd even made the conscious decision to run. "Tej," she whispered. She reached him in three long strides and threw her arms around him, her breath a shaky exhale against his shoulder.