UNDERCOVER PART 28

MIKHA'S POV

I'm already at the airport, waiting for my flight, which is scheduled to depart in about ten minutes. Yves dropped me off since she insisted on driving me herself rather than letting me go without any sleep. She also handed me Aiah's address, she told me na nakapunta na sila dun dati so I'm just hoping na makita ko agad si Aiah.

I might be overthinking things, but I need to understand why Aiah suddenly went to Cebu. She hasn't responded to any of my texts and might have even blocked my number. I'm completely in the dark about what's going on.

After nearly ten minutes of spacing out and staring blankly at nothing, I heard the announcement for boarding, so I quickly stood up and headed for the plane. I decided na matutulog muna ako the entire flight to catch up on some much-needed rest.

After an hour and a half, we landed in Cebu. Fortunately, the rental car I'd arranged was already waiting for me, so finding Aiah's address wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I didn't waste any time. I paid for the car rental and started driving to Aiah's house, following the directions on Waze.

After driving for about 45 minutes, I finally reached a subdivision. The guard at the entrance had directed me earlier, so I followed his motorcycle to ensure I found the right place based on the address Yves had given me.

I arrived at one of the largest houses in the subdivision and mustered the courage to get out and ring the doorbell.

I rang it several times, and after almost the ninth ring, a woman in her 50s—though she looked quite youthful—finally opened the small gate entrance. This could be Aiah's mom since I already saw her picture on her facebook.

"Kinsa na?" she asked.

"I'm sorry po, but I don't speak Bisaya/Cebuano," I replied.

She nodded and asked, "Ano yun?"

"I'm looking for Aiah Arceta po," I said calmly.

"Oh, si Aiah? My daughter?" she asked, so it was indeed her mother.

I quickly extended my hand and get hers para mag-mano

"Yes po, I'm Aiah's girlfriend. I'm looking for her because we were told na pumunta po siya ng Cebu last night," I explained.

"Really? Ohh, so naa nay uyab si Aiah..." she murmured.

(Ohh, so may girlfriend na pala si Aiah)

"Di naman nagpunta dito si Aiah. Did she tell you where exactly she was going?" she asked.

"No po, she didn't," I answered, looking down.

"I'm sorry pero di rin siya sa akin nagcall to tell me na she's coming pala. Would you like to stay muna para makapagpahinga?" she offered with a smile.

"That's okay po. I also booked a hotel nearby," I replied.

I lied. I hadn't actually booked a hotel; I'd forgotten to do so. My only purpose here was to find Aiah.

"I'll go na, po, Tita," I said, preparing to leave.

"Ingat ka. And what's your name again?" she asked, adding a quick follow-up.

"I'm Mikhayla Jann, but you can just call me Mikha po," I told her.

"Okay, Mikha. Ingat, okay? And if you could leave me your number, it would be helpful in case Aiah comes by here," she offered, trying to help.

I smiled and gave her my number. "Thank you, po, Tita."

She nodded and smiled back. "Balik kayo ni Aiah dito ha?"

"Opo," I replied briefly.

I got back into the car and started driving, unsure of where to go.

After about 15 minutes, I pulled over near a park to take a break and think things over.

"Arghhhh. Love, where are you?" I murmured in frustration.

Just as I was about to step out of the car, I remembered that the first time I saw Aiah was at her grandparents' house. I quickly started the car again and drove in that direction. I recalled the park and knew her grandparents' house wasn't far from here.

My hope surged, and I felt confident that Aiah might be there.

It was around 5:20 when I arrived, and I was right. I was fucking right.

I saw Aiah playing catch with a golden retriever. She looked so carefree, her laughter filling the air as she threw the ball.

I took a deep breath, stepped out of my car, and walked slowly towards her. It wasn't long before she noticed me.

"M-Mikha? What are you doing here?" she asked, her smile vanishing and her expression turning serious.

"Love, I was looking for you," I answered softly.

"For what? Para patayin ako?!" she exclaimed.

"What are you saying?" I asked, bewildered.

"Stop acting, Mikha Lim. It was your mission all along! You made me fall in love with you, you made me get close to you, para ano? Para madali mong maggawa ang mission mo?! Mali ba ako?!" she shouted, her eyes glaring.

"No, no, love. Hindi yan totoo," I said, tears welling up.

"Then explain the text I saw from your dad!" she demanded.

I quickly checked my phone and saw the message from my dad that I had missed the night Aiah left. It was clear she had read it, which was why she had left.

"I'll explain, love, please?" I said, trying to step closer.

"STOP! DON'T YOU DARE COME NEAR ME, MIKHA LIM!" she shouted.

"Love, I-I won't harm you. I p-promise," I said, tears streaming down my face.

"Fuck you, Mikha Lim! Fuck you and your mission! I trusted you at malalaman ko lang na planado mo pala lahat nang 'to?" she yelled out of frustration, also crying.

"I fell in love with you, Mikha. I love you, but at what cost? My life?" she added.

It was my first time seeing Aiah crying in frustration. It was my first time seeing her mad. I wanted to hug her and assure her that I'll protect her but she won't even let me go close to her.

"Love, diba you told me na you trust me?," I said softly, still sobbing.

"No, no more lies, Mikha Lim. Umalis ka na," she said firmly, wiping her tears.

"L-love, please? Can you trust me on this? I love you, okay?" I pleaded, kneeling on the pavement.

"Everything was real, it wasn't planned, Aiah. I love you. Please, magtiwala kana man sa'kin oh," I pleaded again, tears still flowing.

"I already did, Mikha. You can never let me trust you again. Umalis ka na," she said, turning her back, attaching the leash to the dog, and heading inside the house.

I wanted to stop her, but my knees felt weak, and I couldn't summon the strength to stand. The rain suddenly began to pour, adding to my despair.

"Fuck this life," I whispered to myself as my tears continued to stream down.