17: It's Time to Go!

I DELETED SOMETHING IN THIS CHAPTER AND DID SOME EDITING

Adam quietly enters his home so he wouldn't wake up Joshua, when the door clicked, he turned the light on and turns around to see his nephew sitting in the armchair holding his black cat Coco in his arms.

Adam jumped startled, "Josh, what are you still doing awake?" The boy looked like he could barely keep his eyes open.

"I want to know how the date went so Coco, and I decided to wait until you came home." Joshua said with yawn, as he pets the cat who hasn't moved.

Adam sighed, "I'm not going to stay awake and talk to you about how my date went, go on, go to bed you can barely keep your eyes open as we speak." 

Joshua pouted but listened by putting Coco down and standing up, "Did it at least go well?" He tried to ask, the grin on his uncle's face told him everything. 

"Goodnight, Joshua."

Joshua turned around and did a small dance on his way to his room, "I might have an aunt, I might have an aunt." Adam could hear him happily singing down the hall until he made it in his bedroom, he shakes his head and said, "That nephew of mine."

____

It's the next morning and Hosanna is preparing breakfast for the kids. She was thankful to Michael for putting the girls to bed last night. Ruby skipped in the kitchen and Eden was close behind this time holding her doll Willow in her arms.

"Morning, mommy!" 

"Morning, girls!" 

"How was your date." Eden asked.

"Are we getting a new daddy?" Ruby climbs on the stool chair, Hosanna sets a plate of bacon waffles and eggs in front of her.

"Ruby, you can't ask questions like that." Eden says scolding her in a polite tone.

"Why?"

"B-" Hosanna cuts her off, "It's okay, Eden." Eden nods and eats her food quietly.

"The date was amazing and to answer your question Ruby, I don't know." Hosanna grinned and returned to making breakfast.

Michael walks in the kitchen and sees Eden and Ruby sitting at the counter, "So, we're in eating in the kitchen today?"

"Yes!" Ruby shouts, causing everyone to laugh.

Hosanna hands him his plate, "Thank you." He goes to sit beside Eden. Hosanna made herself a plate and pulled up a chair to sit with the kids.

Ruby was telling them about her old neighbor Helga who used to watch her a lot. Michael ate as he quietly listened to the girl babble, Eden smiled and nodded her head every time Ruby looked at her to show that she was listening.

Hosanna just smiled as she watched them.

'What a beautiful sight.'

____

Mattias wiped the tears from his eyes as he stared out the window.

'What did I ever do to him?' He sniffled, 'I always listen and obey, I have never acted out for the last six years after since mother passed.' He looks down at his notepad.

I'm sorry.

More tears flowed down his cheeks falling onto the paper.

'What do I need to do for him to love me?' The twelve-year-old pitied himself, this has been going on ever since his mother's passed.

And Mattias had enough, he had enough of this verbal and mental abuse.

But what can he do?

Like his father says, what can a broken child like him do?

Broken?

Is that what he is?

It definitely feels like it.

Mattias let out a sigh, 'Maybe I should call the cops? But what if they don't believe me?' Riley Kinsley isn't physically abusive but if he could then he would. Riley's not stupid, he knows if he laid a hand on his son, he'll be facing jail time.

Mattias loves his father no matter what, though.

Every day after Riley comes home from work, he's either angry, wants no bother from anyone, locks himself in his room until dinner or all the above.

Speaking of dinner, Mattias is the one usually fixing it because his father is too lazy to do anything once he returns home from work. This has been going on for five years. Mattias was put in charge of everything at home, even the laundry.

As Mattias was pondering on what to do he hears a crash coming from the living room.

He jumped in fright.

Another crash was heard, and another, and another.

Mattias whole body shaken in fear, 'I-I need to leave, I have to go, no, I need to go.' He gets up and hurries to get the duffle bag that belonged to his mother. Riley wanted to keep her clothes, but a friend convinced him to give to charity.

Mattias already had his stuff pack just in case if he needed to leave in a hurry.

'I need to go, but where?' He asked, then an idea popped in his head.

They live in a apartment, the neighbors across from them asked him once if he needed any help. At the time his father was yelling so loud from inside their apartment at him and the neighbors heard, the next day they came over to check on him after Riley went to work.

Mattias declined, that was the worth thing he could have done.

Exiting his room, he tiptoed down the hall hoping to not get discovered. He looked around the living room to see no one, 'Where is he?' He jumped when he heard a noise coming from the kitchen.

The boy takes a deep breath and glances from the kitchen to the front door.

He quietly makes his way to the door, right when he's about to lay his hand on the knob, "MATTIAS!!!" Riley raged, Mattias eyes widened, and he spun his head around to see him standing at the entrance of the kitchen.

He looked almost unrecognizable.

Mattias froze, 'What is happening right? Is this even his father?' Was all he could think or wonder, Riley has been dealing with anger issues, it got worst after Gabriella died and sadly, he takes it out on his twelve-year-old son.

"Mattias, where do you think you're going?!" The stare in Riley's eyes was stone cold when the man moved forward, that snapped Mattias out of his thoughts.

The boy looked away from him and opened the front door, "Hey, hey!" Riley charged at him, the boy slams the door shut, feeling bad afterwards but it didn't stop him from running to the neighbors and banging on their door.

He banged until someone comes to the door, 'Please, please opened up.' Right when he was going to give up someone opened the door and pulls him in.

Robert closed the door, then stared out the peek hole and when he saw nothing he looks down at the child before him.

"Mattias, what's going on? Kelly and I kept hearing sounds coming from your apartment and your father yelling. Is everything okay?"

Robert and Kelly watched as he takes out his notepad writing something down then showing it to them.

HELP! Dad is having a full on rage in the apartment! I don't feel safe anymore.

Robert looked at his wife who was already staring at him.

"Call 911, now."

.

.

.

Thoughts?