30. "The Duke..?"

Furina 1st person.

"So what exactly the hell happened again? Sorry, I kind of wasn't listening.." I admitted to Neuvillette, who didn't even bother covering up a sigh.

"I returned to my office only to find a piece of paper that I left on my desk was out of place, so I checked the trapdoor that is used for emergency exits and entrances, and the keypad was unlocked. " He told me.

"And you're 100% sure that you couldn't have just forgotten to re-lock it when you used it last?" I asked.

"One hundred percent. Most definitely." Neuvillette confirmed.

"I told you so."

"Yes, yes, I know. Please stop rubbing it in."

"No! I refuse! I told you ages ago that they were planning to break into your office or at least use this event as a cover up for something, but you didn't listen to me!" I reminded him kindly.

"I realize, and I apologize, Furina." He said,

"Hmph! Good! Listen to me next time!" I ordered as I took a sip of my tea just as one of the gardes that had been conducting the interview came back into the room.

"Monsieur Neuvillette, Lady Furina, we have conducted all the interrogations." He stated, giving a slight bow.

"And?" Neuvillette pressed.

"I'm sorry to report that there was no one particularly suspicious, everybody has an alibi that even people in other groups could validate. No one was left unnacounted for, I assure you." The Garde concluded.

Neuvillettes face soured as he tapped his fingers rhythmically on the arm of his chair.

"And you are absolutely sure that no one left the building even 3p minutes before Neuvillette asked for the lockdown?" I questioned.

"Absolutely no one, Lady Furina. Even before Neuvillette found out about the intruder, no one came in or left." He confirmed.

"Well, that is troubling." Neuvillette muttered. "Thank you, you may tell the citizens they are free to leave, and give them an apology from the firm for all the fuss."

"Of course Sir, right away." The garde quickly bowed once again before disappearing.

The room was silent for a short while, as both Neuvillette and I proceeded to try think of explanations for the curious circumstances.

"So.. What now?" I asked him when I couldn't think of anything.

"Truthfully... I'm not sure." He admitted, somewhat ashamed.

"Furina."

"Yes?"

"What do we know about this group so far."

I pulled up my laptop and set it down on the coffee table, sitting next to Neuvillette and opening up an encrypted file.

"They're an elite agency, and independent, so you won't have any people on the inside here. They only have about 2-4 workers that go out in the field, they're rumored to be mostly intelligent, but I don't think any intelligence agency is important or secretive enough to not be posted anywhere, and their employees whole backgrounds to be erased." I told him.

"Their employees?" He questioned, Neuvillette's eyes landing on a certain part of the file.

"Mhm, with the Intel I have, all I know about then is there alias, and roughly how many people we're looking at, or at least some of them. There are only 12 or so people listed here, but there must be more." I showed him by clicking on the list, and a list of titles and such came up as Neuvillette began to read a select few out loud.

"The Champion.."

"The Houdini's...?"

His eyes lingered on one for a second more than the others.

"The Duke."

"Intimidating, no?" I asked with a smile, "Do you think he's got that title because he runs the agency?"

"That would be too 'on the nose' if you ask me." Neuvillette smiled.

"Did you just use a saying... like an actual conversation saying."

I almost couldn't believe my ears.

"What? Was it not in correct context?" He asked me.

"No.. No it was just- oh never mind, forget it." I rolled my eyes, getting back to the matter at hand. "Anyway, I'm guessing this is only a small fraction of the people that this agency employs, perhaps some of their best." I wondered aloud.

"Where did you get this intel?" Neuvillette asked me,

"I'm uh... Not too sure... I received it from an anonymous tip." I admitted.

Neuvillettes face fell, not to my surprise really, but he did say something next which took me aback slightly.

"I fear that I know who gave this to you." He explained.

"Really? Who?? Can they give me more???" I asked with excitement, these guys are gonna be a pain in our ass, if I could get more as quickly as possible then maybe I can-

"No. In fact, most definitely not. It's already a shock that they've given you this much to begin with."

And with that, Neuvillette unknowingly shattered my heart and soul.

Back to searching myself for things then.

"Furina, I want you to put all your focus on this. I'll give any of your cases or major work piles to someone else, I need to know more about this group and quickly."

"Yes sir." I mockingly said, rolling my eyes to hide my excitement.

Haha! No proper work for me!!

Neuvillette grabbed his coat and opened the door.

"What!? Where are you going!?"

"To check on a friend of mine, I'm sure this whole endeavor has been a nightmare for him." Neuvillette said.

"Friend? What fri- oh."

"What oh?"

"That guy." I groaned.

"Leave him be, you haven't given him a chance Furina." He furrowed his eyebrows as he frowned at me.

"No need for me to give him a chance, you've practically taken all the chances on behalf of both of us to try and get with him." I muttered.

"What was that?" He tone dropped.

"Nothing!"